Critique Time

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Ok I haven't thrown one up for critique in awhile. This is a March born calf out of a Balancer bull (CTR Goodnight son). He is a 50% Balancer. His mother is out of In Focus. I don't have EPD's yet so all you have is his looks. He weighed 797 lbs as of Wednesday. No creep just milk and grass. He is already sold.....my favorite kind to own :lol2:

Hoss-

After all that I have taught you - you KNOW better than to take a picture of an animal facing DOWNHILL! Turn him around!

DOC HARRIS

There's a lot to like about that young man. Nearly 800lbs in seven months on mama and grass says a lot about your pastures and management of them ... and your genetic choices.

Many people don't really understand what they learn about looking at two herds where one is babied and the other is not ... and yet they look comparable.

Thanks everybody. I think he looks pretty good myself. He was basically a photo of opportunity. I was going by on my four wheeler and snapped the pic. Working 60+ hrs per week lately doesn't leave much time for posing. Sorry DOC :oops:

I'm learning that great bulls don't always a great calf make. Good bulls AND good cows will make some great calves. The last few years I have been focusing on improving my cows. It is paying off.

Nothing wrong with the calf and happy for you that you got him sold, but I've got to question his type unless its a return customer that you know well who has the stockmanship to use a bull of this type correctly. This bullcalf is very late maturing and will grow into a massive bull that will leave big heavy, high maintenance daughters in the herd. His calves will grow, though.

KNERSIE":3pwcd1ln said:
Nothing wrong with the calf and happy for you that you got him sold, but I've got to question his type unless its a return customer that you know well who has the stockmanship to use a bull of this type correctly. This bullcalf is very late maturing and will grow into a massive bull that will leave big heavy, high maintenance daughters in the herd. His calves will grow, though.

His momma cow has produced some very big weaning calves no matter what bull she was bred to. This calf was moderate at birth. My records show a 78 lb birth weight. Her offspring seems to moderate out pretty well. The other bull that I sold out of her 3 years ago weighs about 1,800 now.

HOSS":dnqo2fa5 said:
Ok I haven't thrown one up for critique in awhile. This is a March born calf out of a Balancer bull (CTR Goodnight son). He is a 50% Balancer. His mother is out of In Focus. I don't have EPD's yet so all you have is his looks. He weighed 797 lbs as of Wednesday. No creep just milk and grass. He is already sold.....my favorite kind to own :lol2:

That's an awfully nice calf with exceptional growth. Like Doc, I'd love to see a picture of him standing correctly. Any chance you'll forfeit 20 hours of work so you can spend more time taking pictures for us?

Great looking calf Hoss.....from my perspective not sure how you can do any better than that. I have to admit that I am biased though. We have been AI'ing using Goodnight 715T for several years now....breeding for replacements mainly with him. We have been very pleased. Again great job on the calf.

creekdrive":1tp9jy20 said:
I think he's a very nice calf with an impressive weaning weight to go with it! More pictures please!

He is sold and gone but not too far away. Might be able to get some pics if I happen to drive up that way.

Latest posts