Critique please?

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I would appreciate some critique of this heifer. I like her, and would like to show her next year. She is just on pasture right now, this pic is from a couple weeks ago. She is a January Angus heifer. I am wondering, however, about the ears. You can't really tell from this pic, but her ears are frostbitten and I have no idea if a judge would demerit based on that. It wouldn't be any real big shows I would be taking her to, just state fairs. Sorry i couldn't get the photo on here, the site isn't working for me, so here is a link to it on our facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Athens-ME ... 5908646504
thank you.

Here's your picture. She is a nice looking heifer.

6rolqc.jpg

LoveMoo11":dt8aqzfw said:
She is a January Angus heifer. I am wondering, however, about the ears. You can't really tell from this pic, but her ears are frostbitten and I have no idea if a judge would demerit based on that.
thank you.
I showed a heifer 2 years ago with only half her hears because of frostbite and she won the state fair, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. But, it does help if you get a fan on her so some hair will grow on the ear so you can shape the hair so it looks like she has more ear. For an Angus heifer, I'd be a little concerned on the front end since she is a little on the leathery side, but she may grow into that some.

She'll make a much better brood cow than a show heifer. She is quite heavy fronted with a lot of loose skin. When on a high energy ration she'll be very proned to pack fatty waste on the brisket. Although I quite like her otherwise, I feel you'll be better off with a more refined, more feminine heifer with more of a female wedge who is slightly later maturing than this heifer.

Thanks for posting the pic chippie. And thanks to the rest for your opinions! I am curious to see if she will grow into that skin or not :)

I like her. Good paddock type cattle should be no different to show cattle. A good breeder of beef cattle should be able to go out into the paddock and virtually close your eyes and pick a show team. If you have a particular type and know what you are doing they should be reasonably uniform in quality and conformation.

Latest posts