Critique my stocker system

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
This is first time I have tried holding calves through the winter. 500-600 lbs.
I have about 1 acre of winter annuals, mostly rye, per calf now. The rye is well established but growing slowly now. The rye is crossed fenced for 7 rotations.
I have low quality hay with insufficient protein for growing calves so I supplement with a tub.
My plan is to use the hay and rye till March with slow growth, then add an additional acre per calf of ryegrass and hope for compensatory gains.
I try to graze the calves every other day on the rye and have hay out free choice. The rye will be running out soon.
I move the calves off the rye with a small amount of pelleted by-product feed. I top-dress the feed with the needed minerals and Bovatec.
What do you think? With the rye getting short what about a half day every other day to stretch it out.

I like your plan and think further limiting the rye to ration it out until spring is the way to go. IMO-keeping the calves strong and healthy is the main goal at this time as compensatory gain will occur in spring when you have ample green forage. Watch their manure and if it goes to stacking up very much increase the supplement slightly. Between the limited rye and supplement they should be able to get a little gain on the hay. I would use a high protein byproduct such as ddg or corn gluten feed for supplement as it should be more cost effective than the tubs.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I'll second PaPaw
Tubs are generally only worth the money in saving time and effort.
If you are dealing with them everyday then just hand feed them.
And I agree that making sure you meet protein needs is your first concern(unless they are starving).
Without the proper protein they won't be growing frame as well- and thats what you want to get the compensation gains latter.

Douglas":6a3s06bb said:
This is first time I have tried holding calves through the winter. 500-600 lbs.
I have about 1 acre of winter annuals, mostly rye, per calf now. The rye is well established but growing slowly now. The rye is crossed fenced for 7 rotations.
I have low quality hay with insufficient protein for growing calves so I supplement with a tub.
My plan is to use the hay and rye till March with slow growth, then add an additional acre per calf of ryegrass and hope for compensatory gains.
I try to graze the calves every other day on the rye and have hay out free choice. The rye will be running out soon.
I move the calves off the rye with a small amount of pelleted by-product feed. I top-dress the feed with the needed minerals and Bovatec.
What do you think? With the rye getting short what about a half day every other day to stretch it out.
Why not just pull them from the rye for a few weeks and give it a chance to rebound. In the meantime keep the hay, tubs and mineral out and continue to give them the feed you've been feeding them. I hesitate to recommend the higher protein products unless you have some way to insure that all get only what you want them to have.

Latest posts