crippling genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

seokie

Reaction score
hello,

i stumbled accross this forum and figured id ask a question.

a few years back, a black limosine bull we had got crippled, he lost all use of his back legs and we eventually had to put him down. what crippled him? on the top of his back, towards his hips he developed an arch in his spine, kinda looked like a knuckle when you make a fist, and seemed like muscle growth was causing his spine to go out of whack, and i was just wondering if anyone had seen this before

thanks,

mike

Welcome.

I'm certainly not the resident expert, but I'd guess there are a half dozen possible causes. Among them would be the possibility that he wrenched his spine somehow, causing swelling which may have put pressure on his spinal cord, thereby paralyzing him. Could have been from fighting, breeding on rough ground, or even a genetic weakness.

i realize theres alot of possible causes, the thing is, the bull was pretty young (still growing), and it gradually got worse over a period of probably 3-4 months, eventually to where he couldnt walk.

i dont know the name of the muscles, but the muscles on tops of his back infront of his hips were abnormally large

if someone could give me the name of those muscles id appreciate it.

thanks,
mike

had a friend that bought a red angus from a univ. bull test that did this a week or so after he got him. couldn't even get up. he babied him around for months & he finally could get up & breed. vet claimed he had pinched a nerve

Latest posts