Creeping

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Creep Feeding Calves: Creep feeding is generally used for nursing calves but can be used for purchased replacement heifer calves put into the home herd. Milk from a lactating beef cow furnishes only about 50 percent of the nutrients that a three-month-old calf needs for maximum growth. Additionally, milk production in beef cattle is maximized in the first two months after calving and then quickly declines. Obviously, the requirements of growing calves quickly exceeds the nutrition provided by nursing and so creep feeding must be considered.
Another aspect of creep feeding or supplemental feeding of calves is ensuring the proper nutrition and weight gain of young replacement heifers to ensure that they reach sexual maturity at 14-15 months of age and are around 65 percent of their expected maximum weight at first exposure to bulls. This will help prevent calving problems with first time calver and ensure that heifers long term breeding success. It is also important to remember that calves will only gain as fast as their genetic makeup allows and if they have been bought and were not preconditioned they may take a little longer to make the transition.

Three major considerations must be made when selecting creep feed rations: 1 — Cost; 2 — Palatability; and 3 — Nutrient content or quality. It is obvious that weight gains can be realized with a creep feeding program but a producer must consider potential weight gains with and without a creep program, current calf prices and the overall cost of a creep feeding program. Depending on these factors it may not be economically feasible to creep feed and could be an option that causes you to lose money. If cost is a factor consider mixing your own ration or supplementing it with cheaper ingredients. Some ingredients you could consider include: cracked shelled corn, whole oats, rolled barley, soybean meal, dried brewers grain, alfalfa pellets, soybean hulls and molasses. Also, medication and salt are important components in a creep feed mix and should be considered. If you want more information on this topic you can go online to http://beef.tamu.edu.

JMO but if you are having to creep feed your heifer calves so the will reach 65% of their mature size by 14 - 15 months of age then you may be breeding for to big of a cow for your environment.

I aways heard that you have to be careful creep feeding heifer calves or they will get to fat and will not milk as well. I've had very limited experience with creep feeding and it wasn't the thing for me.

Tod Dague":3s2mj4zc said:
JMO but if you are having to creep feed your heifer calves so the will reach 65% of their mature size by 14 - 15 months of age then you may be breeding for to big of a cow for your environment.

My thoughts exactly

Mike, I am doing some feeding now on the heifers that have just calved. I feel they are under a bigger demand to produce milk for the calf and they are still growing.

I notice the calves are starting to eat some of the feed and are eating more hay, none of the heifers are close to being fat, I think their body score is just right (BCS 6-6.5)and will help in them being re-bred on time and will help produce more pounds to sell at weaning time.

I am keeping records on input dollars verses what I get in return and will have to make a decision next year on which way I go from here. I also plan to evaluate a couple of the heifer calves as replacements and I feel this will help in the selection.

The feed I am using cost me about 7.5 cents per pound and if my recall is correct, the ratio of gain is about 7:1 (I read this somewhere) (correct me if wrong) on feed then the cost per pound of gain would be 52.5 cents per pound of gain.

I don't consider the labor involved in the feeding since I am doing this on a small scale and my time is free anyway.

good post

thanks

Depending on the amount of rain and general growing conditions, but creeping has paid off for me on several occasions.

Calves no doubt are heavier, more muscled, and healthier overall.

Big plus is they never slow up when weaning, I guess because weaning is less traumatic and they know about eating.

Creep fed a pasture of commercial cows one year and didn't creep another. Big difference in the two sets of calves that year.

When weather conditions are ideal, creeping may not pay.
But when they aren't, it makes a big difference.

Makes a big difference in marbling also.

C HOLLAND":2maf4ad3 said:
Mike, I am doing some feeding now on the heifers that have just calved. I feel they are under a bigger demand to produce milk for the calf and they are still growing.

I notice the calves are starting to eat some of the feed and are eating more hay, none of the heifers are close to being fat, I think their body score is just right (BCS 6-6.5)and will help in them being re-bred on time and will help produce more pounds to sell at weaning time.

I am keeping records on input dollars verses what I get in return and will have to make a decision next year on which way I go from here. I also plan to evaluate a couple of the heifer calves as replacements and I feel this will help in the selection.

The feed I am using cost me about 7.5 cents per pound and if my recall is correct, the ratio of gain is about 7:1 (I read this somewhere) (correct me if wrong) on feed then the cost per pound of gain would be 52.5 cents per pound of gain.

I don't consider the labor involved in the feeding since I am doing this on a small scale and my time is free anyway.

good post

thanks
I'm confuesed are you feeding the first calvers or their calves?

I'm confuesed are you feeding the first calvers or their calves?[/quote]

The first calvers, but the 6-7 week old calves are eating some of the feed also. So I guess both is the answer to your question.

C HOLLAND":25lyhux6 said:

The first calvers, but the 6-7 week old calves are eating some of the feed also. So I guess both is the answer to your question.[/quote]Did you creep feed those first calvers?

Tod Dague":riowky4k said:
C HOLLAND":riowky4k said:

The first calvers, but the 6-7 week old calves are eating some of the feed also. So I guess both is the answer to your question.
Did you creep feed those first calvers?[/quote]

I only fed them a little to keep them coming to the house to keep an eye on them daily. I only gave them about 1 1/2 lbs per day of soy hull pellets.

We creep fed this year, first time we've done that. The pasture just simply was not there.
Nutrena Rendition (I think that was it) with AS700........ buy 8 bags get 2 free so we bought it by the ton and got an additional discount. They had that sale for about six months.
The calves have done well and were more filled out, but we planted wheat this past fall in the cornfield and in spring we'll plant orchard grass mix so we can use it for grazing next summer after the wheat is harvested. I'm also hoping I can find some pasture to rent.

I also did some search on it and found out the same that MikeC is saying, creepfeeding helps marbling. We're keeping a few back to fatten to butcher and we'll find out then if that is true.

If you have plenty of pasture, no, I wouldn't do it. But if you don't then its an alternative. If you intend to keep your calves to butcher then yes I would consider doing it every year.

We've been creep feeding for years.. even after reading research and opinions. With purebred cattle, if you're planning on sell any seed stock, you're going to get the best animal you can, which is what you need to do to be competitive. It doesn't hurt any that are going to the barn either, as they will be "bunk broke" and feed out really well.

It just works for us!

Latest posts