Creep feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Tim I want to do about what your doing. I think I can get a cheaper and better quality mix than what the commercial mixes are. Mel

Waterway65":3ado1sft said:
Tim I want to do about what your doing. I think I can get a cheaper and better quality mix than what the commercial mixes are. Mel
You probably can but you'll have quite a bit of money tied up in ingredients all the time. Not really cost effective unless you are feeding a large number of calves otherwise you'll still be buying the ingredients in bags as well and some of them you simply won't be able to get. Shrinkage also comes into play. Sometimes it's best to just go along with what someone else has already proven to work well.

charangusman08":fe8pmofe said:
We always creep feed our calves. Usually start when they are 3 months old. Corn being $4 a bushel why not feed them it?? :nod: :nod:

1) you may have surplus grass
2) the heifers may get too fleshy

Corn is more like $3.60 locally, so I think creep is more of a when question.

We feed ours half oats and half corn in the creep feeder, I shoulda been more specific. Never had a problem with surplus grass or heifers getting too fleshy. I know some dont believe in creep feeding but we always have. Especially now that corn prices suck.

we never have had a calf get to fleshy the ones that have got that were not creep fed when they were on the cow. as long as you limit the intake an/or don't feed to high of a protein they should be fine

Latest posts