Creep feed DDG

Help Support CattleToday:

I creep feed 60% corn 40% ddg. I do it right before weaning, so they know what it is, and how to eat it. I've never experienced a net gain to creep feeding a calf. I'd rather keep the calf after weaning, and grow the frame.

I've had two pairs cut out of the bunch for a while. I was having trouble, one of them being an aged cow going downhill pretty fast. The other was the only first calf hfr I had this fall. I knew I was gonna have to put the cow down eventually and started those two calves on 50/50 chops/ddg's. They were eating it and doing fine. I dont know if an extended period of time of it, at a young age, may present stomach problems or not.

Bigfoot":1q4kg31y said:
I creep feed 60% corn 40% ddg. I do it right before weaning, so they know what it is, and how to eat it. I've never experienced a net gain to creep feeding a calf.

You are saying that creep feed conversion is low?

Stocker Steve":1oc686bg said:
Bigfoot":1oc686bg said:
I creep feed 60% corn 40% ddg. I do it right before weaning, so they know what it is, and how to eat it. I've never experienced a net gain to creep feeding a calf.

Only benefit I saw from creep feeding was that they were ready to go on full feed at weaning. I didn't see any real benifit as far as weight gain.

Stocker Steve":1qkqmxl3 said:
Bigfoot":1qkqmxl3 said:

Naw, I just use it to get them started eating before I pull them from the herd.

Latest posts