Crayon herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Pic of a few of our fall replacements. We retained a few other AI Angus heifers but I always like to save some interesting colored ones..

[/url]

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Looking good! How'd you get the gray one?

Dunno. Black Sim sire + black Gelb/Angus dam. Must be some diluter in the woodpile

TT,
I've got a half-dozen gray/brown ones just like that, courtesy of some diluter-gene carrier Simmental AI sires we used back in the 1980s...raise some of the best calves in the herd, but I'm selling all those this fall as we reduce herd size, bred to a homo black Simmental sire. Come and get 'em.

Don't know anything about the Simmental influence as far as color of calves. If She were an Angus x Charolais, and bred back to an Angus bull, I would expect any possibility from nearly identical to her color to darker to solid black. Either way, I would think that the resulting calves would sell right along with a group of black calves. When I phased out my Charolais we bred them to an Angus bull, at first and got several nice crossbreds.

Lucky_P said:
TT,
I've got a half-dozen gray/brown ones just like that, courtesy of some diluter-gene carrier Simmental AI sires we used back in the 1980s...raise some of the best calves in the herd, but I'm selling all those this fall as we reduce herd size, bred to a homo black Simmental sire. Come and get 'em.

I will give that some serious thought Sir.