Crabgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I am trying to secure my winter hay, guy i usually get hay from might not have enough Bermuda to fill my order. He has some crabgrass hay.

I know nothing about Crabgrass hay, any thoughts on it?

I might be able to get some Prairie hay instead of the Crabgrass.

common crabgrass can be pretty good. the Red River variety is popular.
--------
Red River Crabgrass is a reseeding warm season annual grass released by the Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation of Ardmore, Oklahoma. It is the first known proven crabgrass
variety and it provides for the first time, a crabgrass forage of known type and potential. It was a single plant selection in a naturalized stand. Red River Crabgrass combines
the characteristics of early forage development, total forage production, erect growth habit, stoloniferous spreading and forage quality. Red River Crabgrass has produced
over 12 times the yield of some lower producing ecotypes. It can readily be managed as an annually planted single or double-crop forage. It mixes very well with legumes and
summer grasses. Crabgrass palatability is exceptionally high and Red River Crabgrass has been consistently higher in chemical analysis quality compared to other Bermuda grass
and Sudan grass type forages. It lends itself to forage production where quality, palatability, natural reseeding, and double-cropping are major needed characteristics.

I have fed alot of crabgrass hay out of creek and river bottoms. Cows really like it and they do well on it

Given the choice I would rather have the crabgrass than Bermuda grass. It just makes better feed.
Hay farmers don't like it as it is harder to cure and not as productive as Bermuda grass. But crabgrass is better feed.

I put up a temporary electric fence across my backyard so the cows can graze the crabgrass down. They prefer it over the bermuda that's in the yard.

Latest posts