Crab Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
I missed the prime season to establish fescue in pasture in northern AL; what are your thoughts on sowing crab grass as a stand in until next fall. I'm not really concerned about it's hay potential...I simply want to be able to have it as a grazing option as opposed to letting the acreage lay bare. Looking forward to reading your replies.

bks

We've never planted it but last year in a WSG field the timing and conditions must have been just right because it volunteered. The fields that had a thn stand also had the stuff come up. It is great forage, ours ate it like candy till it started to go to seed then they wouldn;t touch it. In t6his area it doesn;t even start to grow till may/june. I would think as far south as you are that now would be a good time to get it seeded.

WSG-Warm Season Grass. In this case Big Blue, Little Blue, Sideoats gama, and I think Switch Grass. Also some volunteer Indian grass came up.

The Noble Foundation at Ardmore, OK has done a lot of work with crabgrass. Their website is:
http://www.noble.org

They seed ryegrass and Elbon rye for winter pastures and the light disking in the fall reseeds their crabgrass for the next summer. Works well.

bncsimps":20837tai said:
I missed the prime season to establish fescue in pasture in northern AL; what are your thoughts on sowing crab grass as a stand in until next fall. I'm not really concerned about it's hay potential...I simply want to be able to have it as a grazing option as opposed to letting the acreage lay bare. Looking forward to reading your replies.

bks

I've seeded Red River Crabgrass and used it for grazing behind Marshal rye grass. Never cut any for hay but sure could have. Had it several years to get up to my armpits before grazing. It's better to let it get about 3 ft and graze it down and it'll grow back pretty fast. Have got as much as 4 grazings in a season.

Cows love it and it'll come back the next year if you let it go to seed before frost.

I have a bag of seed that's been here for 4 years now. Gotta get some of those in a test pot to see if they are still good. I normally sew in May. The past 4 years May has been so cool I just waited for warmer weather. By the time it warmed up it was so dry I didn't even bother. I hope that changes this year. We got some good old mud out here right now. Just hope the rain keeps coming. Turned the cows on grass today.

Latest posts