coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I went out to check cows this morning. A cow was looking over the fence into another pasture of ours. When I got closer two coyotes loped slowly away. A new born calf was fifty feet into the next pasture. Our cows like to calf on the edge of a pasture and have the calf hide in adjoining area which usually has taller plants. I tagged him and chased cow and calf back to the main bunch. The calf was fine and ran with his mother. I have not seen any afterbirth this year so something is eating them but we do have eagles, vultures and of course coyotes. Later I came across a dead calf and I do not know if it was born dead or not. Only mark was some intestines pulled out thru the navel. Any thoughts? Does it sound like a coyote kill if any of you have experience? farmguy

Possible, but impossible to say for sure. But to be honest, I assume if they're not guilty of one thing, they're guilty of another. I shoot all I can.

Coyotes not a problem with the cows now dogs are another issue.
I lost several calves to dogs through the years. Coyote see them trotting across the pasture regularly a dog is a target.

According to one gentleman who previously posted on this forum, there are good coyotes and bad coyotes. His theory was not to shoot any if you are not having problems.

Everyone else I know just shoots them or traps them.

I am in step with Caustic, coyotes don't seem to bother my cattle.

Probably me Raven. Gov't trapper I heard once say that if you are not having a problem, leave well enough alone. If you eliminate the existing coyotes, the one that come in as replacements might not be so timid around cows.

I would much rather eliminate black headed buzzards and them darn mexican vultures.

Bright Raven":gza1nv1y said:
According to one gentleman who previously posted on this forum, there are good coyotes and bad coyotes. His theory was not to shoot any if you are not having problems.

Everyone else I know just shoots them or traps them.

I am in step with Caustic, coyotes don't seem to bother my cattle.
I've watched them lay out in the field and wait for a cow to drop her afterbirth and have never lost a calf to a coyote. Guess they stayed full on afterbirth. With the big dogs now they don't even come around anymore.

Guts through the navel might be a birth defect,cows trampling a calf chasing buzzards,coyotes etc or it could have been a still birth and coyotes starting on the belly.
Skin back the neck,If you see puncture marks around the windpipe-you got a coyote problem which needs to be dealt with

I miss my coyotes, weird I know. But they kept the mouse population down. Had a big time farmer buy all the land around us and wiped out the coyote dens. I never had a problem with mice in the irrigation pipes until the coyotes left. Now, they clog them up regularly. Coyotes sure beat the heck out of mice.

And badgers are the worst creatures on earth. Just saying.....

Never had trouble with coyotes messing with my cattle. Occasionally I'll see them clean up some afterbirth but never seen one bother calves. I still shoot every one I see though because they have wiped out our rabbits.

bird dog":1voi36l7 said:
Probably me Raven. Gov't trapper I heard once say that if you are not having a problem, leave well enough alone. If you eliminate the existing coyotes, the one that come in as replacements might not be so timid around cows.

I would much rather eliminate black headed buzzards and them darn mexican vultures.

Definately not me. Apart from we don't have coyotes Ron called the poster a "gentleman", that definately excludes me.

Ken

wbvs58":1h7t4zdf said:
bird dog":1h7t4zdf said:

Definately not me. Apart from we don't have coyotes Ron called the poster a "gentleman", that definately excludes me.

Ken
I'm pretty sure he was referring to Bez.

Bestoutwest":2tspm8xa said:
I miss my coyotes, weird I know. But they kept the mouse population down. Had a big time farmer buy all the land around us and wiped out the coyote dens. I never had a problem with mice in the irrigation pipes until the coyotes left. Now, they clog them up regularly. Coyotes sure beat the heck out of mice.

And badgers are the worst creatures on earth. Just saying.....

You need to have Greybeard send you some of his cats. Two birds, one stone. :wave:

Farm Fence Solutions":gwyayed2 said:
You need to have Greybeard send you some of his cats. Two birds, one stone. :wave:

What kind of cats is he breeding? We have some cats, but the wife keeps them so fat that they only keep the mice away from the house.

Bestoutwest":3pzilfed said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3pzilfed said:

What kind of cats is he breeding? We have some cats, but the wife keeps them so fat that they only keep the mice away from the house.

The kind that chit in the flowerbed..... And kill mice, I'd have to assume.

greybeard":3gz8iaas said:
I'll give him all of the beaver around here. He just gotta come get them.

How old are said beavers? Are they long haired, short haired or naturally bald? How's the scent, I'll pass on the musky ones.

Bestoutwest":1quev8un said:
greybeard":1quev8un said:
I'll give him all of the beaver around here. He just gotta come get them.

How old are said beavers? Are they long haired, short haired or naturally bald? How's the scent, I'll pass on the musky ones.
They're free. I guess you're going to want to look in their mouths too?

Latest posts