cows off feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Millerranch

Reaction score
I have 7 bred heifers. We have been feeding them two buckets of grain each day, plus the have free choice hay and a protein tub. usually they about stampede to get to the trough and eat each night. But today they had no interest in eating, not one of them.

Best thing I can figure is it was warm today - 65 - and I did just put the protein tub in about a week ago. so maybe with the heat today and the added protein, maybe they just were not hungry?

thanks for your help

Tom

I'm "assuming' your buckets of grain will weigh about 25#, so that's about 7#/hd/day. Probably quite a lot more than they need. So, yes, anything could make them back off. Also, have you gotten a new batch of feed. When cattle are on full feed grain (which this wouldn't be considered full feed, but it's quite a lot for bred heifers unless they were low BCS & you were trying to get them in better BCS) they can go "off" feed pretty easily.
I would only offer them 1/2 their normal amount for a while. Is their manure the same consistency? smell the same? Manure will tell you if something wrong with the digestive system.

Do what JSV said.

What is your "grain"?

It would be best for their systems to split the feed into morning and night feedings (1/2 at each feeding).

If they've acidified - you'll probably have to not even give them 1/2 the normal amount, but take them right back down to none.

Which takes us back to point #1 - check their poo.

7 lbs. of feed for a grown cow (they are bred) really isn't that much and there shouldn't be any acidosis, but I'm wondering why you're feeding them at all...Let'em have hay and if you want to treat them give them a few breeder cubes occasionally.

thanks for all the input. Actually I am only feeding about 16lbs a day total (small buckets). Just to keep them used to coming up. I did not feed them for a day and they were ready to eat today.

thanks,

Tom

Latest posts