Cows not getting bred

Help Support CattleToday:

LB2727

Reaction score
We have a herd of 25 cows and we bought a new bull this spring. We normally get yearling bulls but we really liked this bull (he is 6) and his offspring. He was semen checked before we bought him and checked out good. Well he has been with our cows since May 31st and its not looking good! So far 7 have come back in heat and 3 are bred (hopefully but maybe I just didn't see them come back in heat).

It was above average heat for June this year so we were thinking that maybe the heat is affecting them but I'm not convinced. We've never had issues like this with out bulls. We want our calving window to stay March-April but can tolerate May calves as well. I'm wondering what we should do if more keep coming back in heat so just looking for opinions. AI isn't really a good option for is. So either stick with this bull and hope for the best, rent a bull, or buy a new bull. Regardless, doesn't look like we will get our money back if we have to take this bull to the salebarn. I'm just stumped because I know he produced calves before we bought him. Our cows are well fed (full access to pasture, hay, mineral, protein lick tubs) and nothing has changed so can't believe they are the reason for not getting bred.

A semen test has nothing to do with libido!
If you don't see him bellering, checking the girls, digging holes, looking for a fight or trying to fornicate time to grow wheels.
Before we throw the bull out with the bath water , do you have hogs? Do you vaccinate for leptospirosis?
Oh, he has the libido! He does not like when others are messing with his lady that is in heat. And we have seen him breeding the cows too. We have a couple hogs that we just got a few months ago. Every fall our vet vaccinates the herd with what they recommend. Not sure if leptospirosis is on their list.

Run him back in and semen test and trich test too.
Don't rule out neospora

Are they coming back on heat at the 3 week mark? Vibrio can cause early loss of embryo and they will blow out to 4-5 weeks or more. Older bulls can carry vibrio, the herd he came from could be immune to it. If they are spot on the 3 weeks then I would say it is his fault and you need to move him on. I would move him on either way, no time to try and fix problems.

Ken

Most are spot on the 3 week mark. A couple have been a couple days off from that.
I appreciate all the thoughts. Gives me lots to look into.

We have a herd of 25 cows and we bought a new bull this spring. We normally get yearling bulls but we really liked this bull (he is 6) and his offspring. He was semen checked before we bought him and checked out good. Well he has been with our cows since May 31st and its not looking good! So far 7 have come back in heat and 3 are bred (hopefully but maybe I just didn't see them come back in heat).

It was above average heat for June this year so we were thinking that maybe the heat is affecting them but I'm not convinced. We've never had issues like this with out bulls. We want our calving window to stay March-April but can tolerate May calves as well. I'm wondering what we should do if more keep coming back in heat so just looking for opinions. AI isn't really a good option for is. So either stick with this bull and hope for the best, rent a bull, or buy a new bull. Regardless, doesn't look like we will get our money back if we have to take this bull to the salebarn. I'm just stumped because I know he produced calves before we bought him. Our cows are well fed (full access to pasture, hay, mineral, protein lick tubs) and nothing has changed so can't believe they are the reason for not getting bred.
Time for a new bull . Good luck finding what you want this far into breeding season .

I agree with getting your vet involved before you get rid of the bull & discuss Lepto & Neospora. No, there's not a lot of action involved when it's rotten hot - during the day. One of my neighbors just named her new bull Night Rider because, well . . . ;)

@GoWyo I would assume the bull was already tested for Trich, as it is required by law in most, if not all states, for any non-Virgin bull that is sold. Unless it was a private treaty/handshake deal - caveat emptor.
[h2][/h2]

TC - I don't know what the eastern states require. Here we have to have a brand inspection to transfer ownership and the brand inspector won't issue papers on a non-virgin bull without the Trich tag from the vet.

My 6 year old bull tested bad this summer. Had 7 open out of 28. 16 calfed within 6 weeks beginning 1 st of February. Have 5 that still haven't calfed but had preg tested and are 2nd, 3rd period. Got rid of the bull. Got a new one. Read that you should replace bulls in a commerical operation at 4 to 5 years old.

I sure wish i had of tested the bull for tric when he was semen tested before i got rid of him.

The way my calf crop is spread out, 7 open cows could be from the bull having tric.

From now on every year when i get a bull BEE tested. A tric test will be included. Even if my previous calf crop total was 100 %

Sometimes bulls are simply lazy..it is rare but I have witnessed it. Did you see much action in the pasture last spring? I am sorry but cut your losses now. Sad.

Latest posts