Cows going blind.

Help Support CattleToday:

WORANCH

Reaction score
Recieved an e-mail from a friend in Arkansas, have anyone had this problem?

He has had two cows and a calf spontaneously go blind, the calf died, one
cow is managing still blind and another cow looks like she is going to die.
The vet thinks it is either lead poisoning or a Thiamin deficiency. He has changed mineral to a high Vitamin A mineral. They have pulled blood and took water test and soil samples.. Hopefully they will have the results next week.

After surfing the net and the extension office the most
common reasons are too much sulfur in the diet or water blocking the
absorption of vitamin A (produces thiamin)or lead poisoning..???

Sounds like lead poisoning. Know of a case where calves were chewing/licking on old roof paper on an old chicken house, it had lead in it. Another one I heard of, the guys' shed had steel trusses that were painted with brown lead base paint. It started to flake and they figured out it was falling into the bunks. A tiny amount is all it takes to be fatal. As I recall, the animal may have what appears to look like an epilectic seizure before they die. Good Luck to him. Hope he can get it figured out soon.

I want to think somewhere in the recesses of my small mind I remember a symptom like that with cattle licking oil or grease off equipment in the field. Can't remember for sure though. I can't remember who told me or I'd find out.

We had a cow die from lead poisoning.. going blind wasn't one of the symptoms. It was a slow and horrible way to die however. Hopefully that's not what it is.

ollie":17okg7ce said:
I want to think somewhere in the recesses of my small mind I remember a symptom like that with cattle licking oil or grease off equipment in the field. Can't remember for sure though. I can't remember who told me or I'd find out.

What I think what you are referring to is the common use of Babbit bearings prior to ~1940 in engines & equipment. They were made from a tin lead alloy & the oil/grease lubricant would contain lead that could cause severe illness or death in any animals that might lick/injest the oil or grease.

Latest posts