Cows getting out

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
I have a question for those of you that have cows at several different pastures. A year or so ago I put in a few cows at a smaller pasture of someone I knew because I was needing the extra pasture space. After about a day one of the cows jumped the fence and was off and gone which turned into a whole mess getting her caught again. Flash forward to recently when I put a couple cows in someones pasture with a really good fence just to eat down some grass. I was mainly doing it at their request and not because I was looking for something that small. Same scenario just a different cow jumps the fence and is gone and yet to be found. It didn't have a calf and until this event has been a pretty calm cow, as most of mine are pretty easy going. What do yall do when moving cows to different pastures? Someone told me that the time of day you move them makes a difference but I don't really know.

I always move them so they can explore the whole area before dark. I never move a cow and leave her calf or buy a cow that has just that day had a calf taken off her. Otherwise nothing special.
Any chance dogs could be chasing them at the new place?

When I cowboyed we'd get truckloads of stockers in from out of state. The first few times we tried to turn them strait out we had blowouts and cttle scattered for miles. So we tried feeding them in the corrals as soon as they got off the truck and waiting until about half of them layed down and then we'd ease them out and put them on water out in the middle of the pasture and we never had anymore problems after that.

Are you sure she wasn't stolen? We have had a lot of thefts, single animal missing, like someone took it to butcher it, around here. Also, hotwire works wonders at keeping them in. A solar charger can be placed anywhere in the pasture, with a single strand wrapped all the way around the field.
Hope you find her!

picture is worth a thousand words. take a pic of the fence for us to see. Not the best part of the fence, but the worst part of the fence.

Reloadem":3jsxfzaq said:
picture is worth a thousand words. take a pic of the fence for us to see. Not the best part of the fence, but the worst part of the fence.

This is pretty simple bad fences or cow's if this keep's happening. When a cow is moved they are going to walk the fence line looking for a weak spot. The only other explaination is they were driven out by something, this is usually easily detected as it will more times than not happen in a corner. Jail break's like this though usually involve the herd.

Can't get a picture of the fence but it is woven wire all the way around with railroad ties as post. It looks like she jumped the fence because the only part I found that was bad was messed up at the top. Everything else was fine. Best I can figure is that she got spooked by something.

We only move so that they have time to explore before it gets dark. We also try to leave a few cows that are familiar with the fence if possible. That seems to help. With the 2 pastures we have with woven wire, we've seen that you have to have barb wire or hot wire at the top or they can eventually get over it.

Latest posts