Cowboy philosophy

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Seen this on anothe forum and thought others might enjoy:

I was in a meeting this past week, and the topic of how to be successful at ranching came up. After thinking about it a few days, I have decided that there are a few things that most folks over look when it comes to managing a successful cow operation. I want to share with you things that you need to have a "Successful Ranching Operation….."

Never build a wire gate so tight that your wife can't open it.
Never make a bale of hay so heavy that your wife can't lift it.
Remember the heavier the bales are the quicker she will get tired, and this greatly increases the time it takes her to open and close that wire gate.

Never buy install cattle guards, wire gates are much cheaper.
Besides God gave you someone setting in the passenger seat to open the wire gates for you. This makes her realize how needed and wanted she is. This is a romantic moment for her, therefore as her husband it is your duty to let her get the wire gate.

No matter how rusty, dented and beat up your get' feed truck becomes, never let the passenger door become so dented and warped that it won't open.
She won't be able to get out to open the wire gate.

Never buy a saddle so heavy and a horse so tall she can't saddle it.
She might become reluctant to keep getting on and off a tall horse, and this will greatly impede the smooth operation of her getting the wire gate.

In the long run it is better to invest in quality tools.
For instance, come calving time, it will be far easier to use those metal "come alongs" rather than using those ol' rope pullers. This is a labor saving device. When it is three in the morning with an inch of ice on, she will be able to pull that calf herself without having to come back to the house to wake you up for help.
This way she won't be totally exhausted from the experience and still have enough strength to open and shut that wire gate herself.

Never waste money on cab over or enclosed tractors, this will make you lazy and reluctant to get out in inclement weather.
When its seventeen degrees on the tractor seat, it won't make any difference to her that it's also only seventeen degrees at the gate, when she gets down to open the wire gate.

I had a gal tell me that she had met a feller and got "hitched", and that I had missed the boat. The first thing that went through my mind was not only did I not miss the boat; I hadn't even bought any tickets for the trip. I told her I was doing just fine the way I was. She asked, "You mean you're not planning ever to get married again?" I told her that once in a great while it passes through my mind, but not often. She wanted to know "when that was?"
I told her sometimes after a long and especially hard day, I come home; the house is empty and quiet. So I get in the truck, head out to check cows, I'm driving through the pasture thinking, "I'm all alone in this world, and here's this wire gate….."

I'm LMAO, but the Mrs. will kick my but if she thinks I agreed with any of that. X-mas present this year was a heat houser for her tractor ;-)

I was wondering where it was written that I had to get the gate. Now I know! Explains a lot! :lol:

if i did not know better, i would swear that you and my jesse were brothers in a past life ;-) however, i will NOT be lettin him read this posting and just getting himself in trouble by agreeing and getting ideas :D

Latest posts