cow

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
Last year I bought a some bred cows. One of them lost her calf in February and I bought the cows late march. I felt she was probally bred and took a chance on her. When I was loading her that day I noticedboth eyes were a little cloudy. He told me he she was like that when he got her and had treated her. I brought her home and seperated her and treated her again after 2 weeks no change. Vet said she would be fine to turn out. Fast forward to last 2 weeks she has started looking worse. She has always the last to come in and has always been a loner. She is obviously heavy bred now so she was bred in march. She hasn't started bagging yet. She was the only cow that wouldn't come in when I b
Vaccinated Saturday. I was able to catch her late today. I'm gonna feed her and keep her in the lot to improve her condition so when she does calve I can sell the pair. She can see out of her eyes but I don't think very well. I knew she was a cull when I bought her and plans were to get a calf on her side and I could double my money. Since she is probably weeks away from calving would you wait to vaccinate even tho the 7 way I use is safe for pregnant cows.

You can vaccinate with a modified killed vaccine and she should be safe ,also treat her with some long acting oxytet for her eyes, could just be mycoplasma.

OK ,but sometimes it takes multi doses to help clear them up as well as a lot of time afterwards to see an improvement . If she is not leaking from the eyes then I think you kust have to play the waiting game .

I wouldn't try and sell her as a pair as everyone else will see too what you already know. Maybe let her raise her calf to about 3 months, cull her for slaughter while she is still upright and you can either feed the calf to a heavier weight or sell it too for someone else to feed up.

Good luck and wishing you a healthy unassisted calf on the ground with a very attentive and good dam at her side . :tiphat:

hillsdown":rw9qpiyb said:

I wouldn't try and sell her as a pair as everyone else will see too what you already know. Maybe let her raise her calf to about 3 months, cull her for slaughter while she is still upright and you can either feed the calf to a heavier weight or sell it too for someone else to feed up.

Good suggestion here. This is what I would do in your situation.

Katherine