Cow too fat?

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is one that was born to a first calf heifer on Dec 3, 2011. Is this pretty little girl too fat?
IMG_1091.JPG

The 25 cow looks like it has excess fat deposits on it's rear, the rest look fine to me.

Hey SSGenetics. Every morning I put out about 1 1/2 gallons of beef mix for 10 cows and a bull. Not much. It brings them in each morning so I can check them and spend some time with them. They have a total of 80 acres of prime pasture to cover. Only about 10 acres or less is wooded; the rest is pasture. Much of the farm was cleared and new pasture seeded over the past 2 years. So there is a lot of new grass. Also, due to the percent of legumes, especially in some of the old pasture that was a hay feild, I keep sweetlik blocks in the feeders. It is a mineral block with molasses and a chemical that breaks down the gases that cause bloat. Some cattle operations in my area have lost or had to treat cattle due to bloat this spring. It has been a bad spring for bloat or another way to say it is a good spring for legumes. I have heard that some operations have sprayed their pastures this year to reduce the red clover. Anyway, I want to make sure they come in for the sweetlik.

An easy way to keep their weight down a bit is to keep the calf on a little longer. You mentioned shipping one at 6 months that weighed 730. Keep the calf on until 7-8 months and that cow will be thinner. I'd also cut out the beef mix.

I think most aren't too fat, the one with all the fat around the tail head is.

Latest posts