cow stays by herself poor condition

Help Support CattleToday:

DAYMON

Reaction score
I have a cow that had a little trouble having a calf back in january she got a little thin and has progressively gotten worse I seperated her from the herd and fed her feed a couple of times and she would seem to get a little better. Then about a month ago I noticed she had quit producing enough milk and her calf had torn her teats up. I weaned the calf kept her up for a few weeks and fed her brought her up to the pasture by the house and she has been up here with feed and plenty of grass for a couple of weeks and she doesn't seem to be gaining any weight. She stays by herself and lays around a lot but eats and drinks several times a day and seems alert. Any ideas would be appriciated.

How old is she? If she is getting enough nutrition and still not doing well The first thing I would be looking at is Johnes disease.

This was her first calf I didn't have to pull it but when she had it I had to warm it up and help it up for tall days then it was fine.

DAYMON":1ybcgus3 said:
I have a cow that had a little trouble having a calf back in january she got a little thin and has progressively gotten worse I seperated her from the herd and fed her feed a couple of times and she would seem to get a little better. Then about a month ago I noticed she had quit producing enough milk and her calf had torn her teats up. I weaned the calf kept her up for a few weeks and fed her brought her up to the pasture by the house and she has been up here with feed and plenty of grass for a couple of weeks and she doesn't seem to be gaining any weight. She stays by herself and lays around a lot but eats and drinks several times a day and seems alert. Any ideas would be appriciated.
Did she clean out when she calved? Could be a uterine infection.