Cow Missing Teeth?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Ok I have never stuck my hand in a cows mouth to check her teeth.

Got a 12 year old cow that had a set of twins. Not milking really good. Odd for her. Supplementing the twins with 2 bottles a day.
I was watching her on Sunday and noticed as she was eating it seemed to take her a long time to finish her hay. Had a foamy green drool come out of her mouth. She was eating grass hay.

So what do I check for?

Put her in a chute and put a halter on her. Winch her head to the side and tie it off on the front of the chute. Put on leather gloves. If you stick a piece of stiff hose in the side of her mouth, she will open it like a gagging reaction. Cows do not have upper incisors like a horse but you know that.

I would check for an object lodged in the gum line along her teeth or between her teeth. I shot a Rocky Mtn goat in your Tobacco Root Range near Bozeman. It had a stick lodged in the upper jaw along the molar gum line. It had absessed and when I cleaned up the skull, I saw that the bone had been resorbed around the two molars at the site of the absess. The goat was an old one with 7 1/2 horns. But he would never have made it through the winter. I doubt that your cow is suffering from missing teeth. If there is something wrong, more likely an injury or foreign body.

BTW, I see that same green foam when the cows are eating hay. Some hay seems to produce more.

I got the cow that lost her calf in the head catch right now nursing the twins.
Thanks for the info. I will do that after they get done eating.

Latest posts