Cow losing hair

Help Support CattleToday:

georgia beef

Reaction score
I noticed that one of our cows has the hair off one side of her face...and down around one side of her neck.. It looks as if she is scratching on something... The skin is not oozing anything and is dry.. However you can tell she has rubbed it on something... To be honest with you it looks a little like mange... I checked the other cows and they are all okay... It ;s hard to describe in writing.. do you all have have any experience or know that this may be .. she is eating well and has not lost any weight.. thank YOu

My guess would be lice. Do cattle get lice there? Have they been poured? Your Tractor Supply should have powder or spray for that. I have never seen ringworm myself, but I suppose it could be a possibility also.

this symptom has come across here before..I had a young heifer that had loss of hair like you describe..it was something to do with her reaction to sunlight..it is a liver problem that causes a cow to be unable to absorb sunlight in a normal manner... photosensetivity or something like that..your vet will know...doesn't affect the meat but rarely does a cow recover from it...especially severe in white faced or white skin cattle..the one I had was a holstien cross...

Yes the cattle get lice here. I bought some spray and goina run her through the head gate and spray her... The good news is it don't look like it's getting any worse... and looks as if some of her hair is starting to grow back.. Goina spray her anyway...

Latest posts