cow hide rugs

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge

Reaction score
The craigslist prize bull thread brought up a thought to me...

Cow hide rugs.
Where/how can you get a specific one made??

Sister-in-law doesn't know it yet but I think I would like the highlander hide...
I might have to get ridiculous and start bathing and brushing him while he lives and breathes, but I think a rug made from his winter coat would be awesome and worth the time grooming him.

I've seen several animal hide rugs, including sheep, I know that having hair on is possible.
:-/

Moyle is a good choice for flat hides. Most of us taxidermists avoid them for taxidermy work, but for whatever reason their flat hides are very nice. There are a lot of other tanneries that can handle cattle hides, but if I recall Moyle isn't all that far from WI? If I were you I'd try to keep it close because of shipping costs. Did you intend to send it frozen, or are you experienced in fleshing/salting? Sending the hide salt dried would save you a lot of money, but it's a lot of work too. Any good tannery will comb and clean the hair numerous times, so you don't have to worry about it being spotless, though they may charge extra if it's too dirty. It's also possiblye that they may charge for a highland because of the hair, though I'm not positive about that. They have a pretty good website that may give more details.

I looked into it at Halfords and it would have cost about 20$ square ft,and I will roughly guess 50 square ft on a large animal...

Nah.
I've often thought of getting a tattoo of Eve...
The hide of Mr. Haggis would be a thing to remember him by, since we will never have another of him.
PBs are super rare at GRF, his coat is beautiful.

Go to any taxidermist and have them quote out a buffalo to get close. I had a cool marked shorthorn steer I had the hide tanned on. The guy told me that he figured a little less than a buffalo because the steer should be smaller. Turns out the steer hide was bigger than a buffalo and cost me more. but that estimate should get you close. I think it was about 1200 for the hide with hair on about 10 years ago. Don't know if prices are regional or not.

Do they last a long time? I've heard that they breakdown over time. I'd really like to do it with the LH's we have after they've outlived their usefulness. Maybe make some throw pillows at least.

As a rug, on the floor they won;t last long. As a wall hanging they seem to last darn near forever. Properly tanned as a pillow cover type deal they should be good for some years, just not permanent.

dun":2yc71k3k said:
As a rug, on the floor they won;t last long. As a wall hanging they seem to last darn near forever. Properly tanned as a pillow cover type deal they should be good for some years, just not permanent.
Yep. The leather, if done properly, will last nearly forever. The hair can't stand up to foot traffic if it's placed on the floor.

Chuckie":10bvp7ro said:
Awwgghhhh!! It will be like having a shrunken head of your Great Aunt on top of the TV!
In my wife's family, that wouldn't be such an unusual thing. I've often called them sis-in-laws a coven--quietly, under my breath.

I have several cowhide rugs. I bought all except one on EBAY. At the present time, they are folded in storage since we moved to this house which has carpeted floors. In the future I will replace the carpet with laminate and use the rugs again.

I have a couple of cowhide rugs that I had used under foot traffic for at least 8 years. And the hair is just like it was when they were new. They hold up VERY well. Vacuum them like any other rug. Walk on them. Use them. They are probably more durable than the other rugs I have owned.