Cow going back to Mother

Help Support CattleToday:

Mustant 2

Reaction score
I have a cow, 19 months old that has started going back to its mother to feed. Should I be worried? She was weaned at 6 months, and has just started back on the mother, who is going to have a calf in a couple of weeks.

Mustant 2":1igmupw1 said:
I have a cow, 19 months old that has started going back to its mother to feed. Should I be worried? She was weaned at 6 months, and has just started back on the mother, who is going to have a calf in a couple of weeks.

need to separate them or the new calf born will not get any colostrum. the sooner the better. if i couldnt stop this i would get rid of one of em.

jt

I would be concerned about this, firstly because it may cause mastitis in the cow and secondly if the heifer starts suckling other heifers, this can cause them to develop blind quarters.
You can stop it by fitting a weaning ring. It fits in the nose like a bulldog and has spikes on it which make it uncomfortable for the cow. A few kicks to the head will soon break the habit.

Mustant 2":34dxiskb said:

Ship the 19 month old. Too much trouble to deal with. You need to get them separated immediately.

it is a very hard thing to break and a headache to deal with. if you can seperate the heifer good, if not ship her, she will do the same thing to another cow or heifer any thing that will let her.

There are enough headaches raising cattle, why put up with the ones you can fix.? Ship her.

I agree with Bama and the others. Once they start back to trying to nurse after weining they very seldom stop. You might as well ship her.
;-)

Mustant 2":2ig5tf72 said:

This is an easy problem to solve load the freeloading cull in the trailer and haul here to the salebarn. If she is stealing at this age she will keep stealing. Turn her into folding money and replace. No sense to keep culls in this market.

Latest posts