Cow Fight!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score

These girls have been fighting for 3 days and it's getting ugly! Pound-for-pound it's a pretty fair fight but the one on the left is 4 years older & currently sporting a nice gash on her forehead, the one on the right now has a noticeable limp. Not unusual for our cows to spar before & after they calve or when they rejoin the herd if they've been sick/doctored/etc and there's the occasional battle over hierarchy but I've never seen any of them this fired up for so long. They're worse than the bulls! What's going on?

They'll prob keep at it until one finally establishes dominance. We have some ladies here in the office that are pretty much the same way..

I fed a round bale several years ago and 2 cows started fighting I left and went back 30 minutes later, one cow was laying on her side blood oozing out of her, dead as a door knob.

TennesseeTuxedo":1dxl95zk said:
cowboy43":1dxl95zk said:
I fed a round bale several years ago and 2 cows started fighting I left and went back 30 minutes later, one cow was laying on her side blood oozing out of her, dead as a door knob.

That stinks.

Wow! Just . . WOW. Hopefully my girls will simmer down before there's any carnage.

I have a couple that always seem to want to butt heads especially when I put feed out. Usually lasts for about 5 minutes or until the real alpha female comes over and whips one of their asses. Same as people.

That does happen with cattle, they will be beefing with one another until one submits to the other and accepts defeat.

They get pretty stupid about it too. Have had them released back into the herd and start fighting after calving, and trample their calves in the process - calves lived, but it's not fun watching them jump all over a new born and pay no attention. Ive had luck scaring them off one another and settling down. But I wouldnt try that with bulls. I have tried with a 4 wheeler and it doesn't distract them.

Almost learned the hard way not to interfere in a bull fight. Once they get started pushing they don't pay attention to anything or anyone else.

TCRanch":12zp3ke7 said:
Writing this one off as raging hormones ;)

The operative word here being raging hormones. :lol2:

I've had a few, over the years, do similarly, but not for quite as long. On and off for 2 or 3 days. The worst resulted in my old granny cow getting knocked over sideways with a resulting bad hip for a few months.

With the value of good breds where it is compared to the value of a dead or crippled cow, I would pick out the poorer of the two and send to town.

Latest posts