Cow eating but losing weight

Help Support CattleToday:

JasonJones

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! I am a new cattle owner and tend to worry about every little thing I perceive as a problem with my new friends. I bought 4 cows, 2 with nice calves at their sides and 2 that were springing pretty heavy back on July 5th. Since having them on my place, ole "42" (one of the springers) is showing signs of losing weight instead of gaining. She, along with her herd mates, are eating well and show no signs of discomfort but Im a bit concerned. Ive got a call into my vet but due to my concern I was hoping to at least get some ideas from those of you with much more experience than I. My pasture does contain some weeds but "Big Mamma" generally keeps them in the good stuff. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sometimes when calving is getting really close, they pull down (look thinner) a bit. If she is eating good and has enough to eat, you probably don't have anything to worry about. Good luck! My guess is that you should be having a new calf very soon.

Thanks ricebeltrancher! Pretty much exactly what my vet said too. I tend to worry about every little thing, sometimes to a fault! Ha. My best friend/mentor (aka grandpa) tells me this about every time I call him! Again, thanks for your response!

Latest posts