Cow Down--need advice ASAP

Help Support CattleToday:

Kat":w346colo said:
... but I am spent emotionally. I feel like if I would have went with another treatment (i.e. infection in the leg, not nerve damage, if I would have known this) maybe I could have saved her. I understand that loosing them is part of the deal. But, I always get immediate vet care and will go the distance and give 110% with any of them. Cows are a business but they are also a passion. If they were not, I wouldn't be doing this. I just feel like I let her down........

You guys have been great

That's why we all do this. If we didn't love these creatures, we couldn't handle it. Sorry to hear about your loss, but your cow is much better off.

Thanks Guys for all of the responses...

My passion is not gone, I love cows, big beautiful cows and always will ... I have learned from this experience...

Thank you for all of your nice thoughts.....

We can't play owner and God too. You put in a good effort. Sometimes they are just destined to slip away. You did what you thought was best and thats what counts.

Kat....sorry about your loss. That had to be pretty rough.

But, I have a couple of questions that maybe you can help me with. You stated that you had the vet put her down. I take that to mean that either yourself or your husband couldnt or didnt want to shoot her. As a family man with young kids around, not really sure if I would choose that route either (shooting her). I know it's the right thing to do and kids need to be shown life and death and all that crapp, but writing it on a internet board and actually pulling the trigger on a family pet you've had for 5-6 yrs are two completely different situations. I know most of you guys have done it, maybe even some did it for financial reasons. But as most of you know, doctoring one cow isnt gonna make me or break me financially. Maybe if I got home and saw where the cow had been attacked and was dying right in front of me and wasnt gonna make it through the night might be one thing, but planning a death shot would be much harder.

That being said, with all the medications you had pumped into her, you probably didnt feel safe butchering her, so how did you dispose of the body? Do you have a rendering plant around that will come and pick her up, did you just dig a big hole and bury her....? Trying not to be too heartless or gruesome, but as stated, it is part of the cow business. Just a part of the business I havent had to deal with yet.

Hi Eric,

Don't worry , those are good questions. We would never shoot an animal. We just could not do it. We prefer to also have a vet come out and and put them down. It is a perosnal choice and we never worry about the money when it comes to the welfare of an animal.

We bury our animals with our tractor. We dig a big hole and bury them. We do not have anybody or a service that comes out to get them. I do think that they we can also bring them to the landfill also if need be. Oh and I could never eat an animal that I was that close too. It just would not be right.

What do you do with your animals that have died?

Thanks Kat! I've actually been fortunate and only came across the situation one time. I had a calf die at birth, came home from work and it was already dead. I just took it to the creek bottoms a few miles from my house, dug a small hole with a shovel, and buried it there. I've only got 15 head and have only been raising cows for about 3 yrs now, so everythings gone good so far. I know that if you hang around cows long enough, you're gonna lose some, but that doesnt make it any easier when it does happen. I was just glad that when I did lose one, it wasnt a cow we've become attached to or a calf that was even a few months old. Only good thing is that it was born dead. Really dreading the day if we ever have to make the decisions you guys had to make.

As far as eating one of ours, my wife / kids would never let that happen either. We eat beef probably 4-5 times a week, and alot of steaks on the grill this summer! But when I even mention butchering up one of the young steers I have now, I am immediately told that she will never cook those steaks, and I'm really used to her doing the cooking so I just sell them at the salebarn and buy my meat from the grocery store. Not sure where they think the animals at the salebarn are going, but I guess as long as it's not in our freezer, then it's alright with them!

Oh yeah, on our previous place (we've only had this place for a few yrs), we had kind of a small cemetary in the back of the pasture. I had to get one of my German Sheperds put down (hip displeasure, which vet said was causing her pain and wouldnt get any better), we buried her there, along with a few hampsters, a couple cats, a bird and probably a few other pets when kids were much younger.

Most of the time I just drag them to the back of a pasture. If I think there may be some type of disease going on I'll burn em.

You guys need to remember, I am on about 20 acres and very close to a large city, and a road all along one side of my property. Not many places I could drag a big cow to where it wouldnt be seen by somebody, either one of the neighbors or , heaven help me, somebody driving down the road to their McMansion and seeing this rotting carcass in the middle of my pasture.

Thus the hauling off of the dead calf to a creekbottom a few miles away. Nothing but horses and motorcycle trails around there.

eric":2wxuihe0 said:
You guys need to remember, I am on about 20 acres and very close to a large city, and a road all along one side of my property. Not many places I could drag a big cow to where it wouldnt be seen by somebody, either one of the neighbors or , heaven help me, somebody driving down the road to their McMansion and seeing this rotting carcass in the middle of my pasture.

Thus the hauling off of the dead calf to a creekbottom a few miles away. Nothing but horses and motorcycle trails around there.
If I own an animal that has to be shot, then it is my responsibility to do it. That goes with the territory.

I understand you may not have room to drag them off and let nature take it's course. Burying them may be better. But, dead calf in creek bottom? What about people and animals down steam ?

I didnt just chunk the calf in the water and drive off. There is a big field where kids ride 4 wheelers and motorcycles and stuff and there is a small creek running through it. I actually dug a hole about 100 ft from the bank, in some thick tree cover, and buried it there.

There are many ways to put down a animal, shooting it between the eyes being one of them. Maybe I'm not as manly as you and would choose to have a vet put the family pet down, rather then just put a .270 through it and then deal with the kids. I never said your way was wrong, thats a decision you need to make. I agree, its the animal owners responsibility to take care of the situation, we just choose to remedy the situation is different ways.

Kat":1n505xbd said:
Hi,

We have a Holstein cow that just had a calf. The vet pulled it and everything was fine. That night (2 days ago) she went down and could not get up. The vet has her on Dex ( shots) each morning.

She is not getting up and one of her legs is swollen. We are lifting her with a sling and tractor but are loosing hope, Does anyone have any advice on what we can try or have any of you had this happen several hours after giving birth? I have only seen it right at birth...

Please help!
I just found this discussion and am wondering what the outcome was. At this point it should be resolved one way or the other. I'd have used Banamine immediately at first signs of swelling, the steroid Dex being used with it. Could be toxemia as in humans? You can find help online doing a search for postpartum emergencies like this. I hope you saved her, and that the calf is well. Let us know. Whitedog.

whitedog":36rvuydd said:
Kat":36rvuydd said:
Hi,

We have a Holstein cow that just had a calf. The vet pulled it and everything was fine. That night (2 days ago) she went down and could not get up. The vet has her on Dex ( shots) each morning.

She is not getting up and one of her legs is swollen. We are lifting her with a sling and tractor but are loosing hope, Does anyone have any advice on what we can try or have any of you had this happen several hours after giving birth? I have only seen it right at birth...

Please help!
I just found this discussion and am wondering what the outcome was. At this point it should be resolved one way or the other. I'd have used Banamine immediately at first signs of swelling, the steroid Dex being used with it. Could be toxemia as in humans? You can find help online doing a search for postpartum emergencies like this. I hope you saved her, and that the calf is well. Let us know. Whitedog.
One more question: did she clean easily? Is the placenta out by 24 hours? In addition to the above suggestions, give antibiotic shots as recommended on label, and inject with mineral shot like MultiMin, and make sure she has salt and minerals in the pen. Salts are too often forgotten when a cow is penned, and if she is down, the salt can be mixed with her grain. Water should be encouraged often. If the cow is lost, this should be filed for future reference; we always learn the hard way, but at least we can learn from sad experiences. Best of future luck, with your efforts of course. Whitedog

Craig-TX":3nxbsmrl said:
I'd just drag her off and let the birds and varmints do their thing.

That's the way I usually handle it. Drag them to a secluded area of the pasture and let the varmits/buzzards take care of them. Sometimes I'll go out there at night and see if I can pick off a coyote or two. Guess if I had a small place, I would probably burn them in a big brush pile.

I did have a vet come out one time to put a horse down for me; however, after I got the $150 bill I decided right then that it would be the last time. From now on they'll get a bullet (horse, cow, dog, etc).

As far as kids, I've got 2 girls (7 and 2), and I believe they need to learn the truth about life, death and where their food comes from. For instance, I accidently ran over my daughters cat the other day coming in from the pasture, with my wife and two daughters sitting on the tailgate no less! After lots of crying from all three, I told my daughter we needed to bury it. I dug the hole, and she buried it. We said small prayer - end of story.

As far as eating beef, our whole family eats beef we have raised. My oldest daughter helps with the feeding, and she knows the ones we will eventually eat. They even named the last steer - "hamburger". :) I might be a little different, but the way I look at it is that if they don't want to eat it, they can do without!

Hi Guys,

Whitedog, we put her down days ago. The whole thing in a nut shell was this. She started to calve and we knew the calf was a little big so we had a vet come and pull her. As soon as she was pulled ( the calf) the momma got up licked her and left to go to the pond. We moved the baby up to the maternity area and then went and got the Mother. That night I noticed she was mooing stangely and determined that she could not get up. Called the Vet and he said it was probaly temporary because she was up after calving.

The next day the Vet came out and said she should be alright and give her Dex shots. My husband pointed out what looked like "jelly" underneath her skin under her back leg near where it connects to the body. The vet said nothing. So we figured it was nothing. Now fast forward, a couple days went by and she was not getting better. We even went and borrowed a water tank to try to lift her. I spent hours upon hours hosing her and bringing her water and feed. My husband then that night decided to call a different vet (different town). He came out at 10 pm and said that it could be a Chlostridum(sp) type of infection. It was not just a complication from calving. We started her on antibiotics. The next morning though we knew we had to put her down. She was suffering and I was emotionally spent. If only we had the correct diagnosis to begin with.... So anyway, we had the second vet come and put her down.

As far as putting them down, I too hate to see these big vet bills. But I could never do it myself,. no way.

We bury them , but I know that animals sometimes get to them, but I just remember that every animal has to eat and it is part of the food chain.

I remember when I started with cows over 10 years ago. The farmer I bought my first cow from said from time to time you will loose one. I thought oh, that will never happen , but it does , no matter how much you do for them. As someone said here, you have to pick yourself up and go on.

Some years back, we did the same thing... had the vet put down one of our favorite cows.... it cost us... but he stayed a few minutes more and explained things to us... actually to his financial detriment.... he told us that the United States Humane Society, as well as the veterinery schools consider a well placed head shot not only to be humane, but also at times prefered over drug euthanisia...... the key words here are "a well placed shot" or even two or more if needed. he explained that it is an immediate shut off of every sensory connection in the brain..thus we use this method....

As far as the disposal methods,....we have in the past tried to bury the animal here somewhere in the pastures, but the damned coyotes seem to be able to dig them back up almost as fast as we bury them...and we do bury as deep as our little back hoe will get us......they even dug up and ate our two Great Pyrenes dogs we lost this past winter!

Then we started to just pull them over and through the fence over a short drop off a cliff, thinking we may get time to sit on them a few evenings and maybe get a shot off at a yote or something........

Now MY plans have changed...as a local developer has decided to clear several building lots up against our fencelines, and in doing so has damaged our fences repeatedly, as well as dropped wild cherry limbs over our fence (poisonious as they wilt) I will from here on, pull any dead animals up against the fence lines and simply leave it for nature to dispose of..........hopefully, a long and smelly decay. :cboy:

We went through this when I was a kid. We had black baldies and were raising Chianina (SP?) show calves. We were making $1 to $1.50 per pount when the price of calves was $.75. We bought a full blood bull and we have very good luck the first year, calve were born all skin and bones, but they grew like crazy. The second year we started having some big calves, 110+ pounds. We ended up losing 4 cows and calves that year. We finally found out that way back in the bloodline of this bull that one of the sires threw big calves.

Bobg

I started to wonder about our bull even though he is supposed to be calving ease. He is an embryo transplant bull that we waited a long time to get.

The good news is that one of my second calf heifers had her baby with no problem.. just spit him out. He looks just like his father. We sell our boys as registered bulls so while we would like to have a heifer everytime, we still are happy with the little guys too.

Latest posts