Cow doesn't breed back

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm just curious, what are some things that could cause a seemingly healthy cow that has had two calves on time with no delivery complications to stop calving? Assume the bull is good.

Nutrition is 1st thing that comes to mind... you said healthy, so I assume good flesh, perhaps in need of better minerals?
lack of vitamin A or E?
Heat stress embryo death in 1st 7 days or moldy feeds could cause early embryo death where cows reabsorbs pregnancy 30-50 days after conception.

Lepto or Mycoplasmas?
So hard to say, especially an individual case, if rest of herd isn't having any problems.

So she is 4 or so years old or have you just had her a couple years?

I wish I had an answer. I took a nice 9 y.o. to the sale today. She has had 7 straight above average calves but was open this year. What changed? The vet said she was cycling.

Thanks for the replies; She is a little over 4 years old. I do plan to sell her soon.

Son of Butch":29s2xo4c said:
Nutrition is 1st thing that comes to mind...

and genetics. Some cow lines just don't have the fertility that others do.

Poor grazers in our area run about 10 to 30% open depending on how much grass is there that year.
We over feed and run zero to 5% open, unless we buy in a bunch of new females and have to sort off the inflexible ones. That seems to be about a two year process.

I was having the same problem, cows not breeding back or breeding slow, and I even sent some good cows to ''Wolf Brand Chili'' rather that fixing the problem. I was not feeding any kind of minerals. Why was I not feeding any minerals ? because I was doing it the same way my Hillbilly Grandpa had did it for many years it may have worked but was not right. Now I keep out ''Wind and Rain minerals'' all year and have no problems. Most of my cows that were not breeding was all in one pasture that makes me think there was some kind of mineral lacking in that pasture???? Now I try to find out the problem before I ship them out.

Latest posts