cow diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I have a cow that recently had a calf. She doesn't act like she is feeling very well and she is hardly eating if at all. I put her up in the barn and am feeding her hay. She has diarrhea, way too thin considering she is on hay. Between the not eating and the diarrhea, I am stumped. Thanks for your thoughts on this matter. Another thing, a couple of days ago her bag felt warm but is fine today. Carla

What sort of time frame are we looking at here? How long since she had the calf?

For cows that are lethargic after calving, wont put weight back on, and scouring, always in the back of my mind is a ruptured uterus. We've had a few like this and the cow just gets sicker and sicker until she dies. Its a horrible thing to happen to a cow. I recently lost a doe with a ruptured uterus and ruptured bowel.

Good luck with your cow.

What about twisted stomach?
TN remember a cow with Johnes , especially the onset has an appetite so I would rule that out.I would call a vet to rule out anything surgical.

even though the bag felt warm did you milk it out a bit to see if there were chunks? This too can make her sick.
Retained placenta? Did she clean does she stink?
Twisted gut or hardware or plastic twine in the gut?
Mineral deficentcy? bad spelling
How was the calving...difficult? MP? foot back? Big?
How is her temp?
so many questions get a vet to help if you want to save the cow!

Latest posts