Cow came out of head catch wobbling

Help Support CattleToday:

godgrace777

Reaction score
We pinned one of our heifers in our head catch to do a pregnancy test. She was in there for about 30 mins. When she came out she is stubbing and don't get her back feet under her. Is it possible that the head catch was to tight? Not sure what else could have happened.

Hard to know without having seen it. I don't catch their head for palpating. Simply push them up to the headgate and palpate. Once you have you arm in they seldom ever try to back up and are much more relaxed than when they have their head caught.

Very likely head catch was too tight. Constricted blood flow to the head and she was a little 'woozy' when she came out.

Not so much too tight as she dropped down into the narrow part ,theres a nerve that can get pinched-- gotta watch for that, they give signs that they are in trouble.Just bump the catch some and that usually stops it.

Howdyjabo":3kybrdwd said:
Not so much too tight as she dropped down into the narrow part ,theres a nerve that can get pinched-- gotta watch for that, they give signs that they are in trouble.Just bump the catch some and that usually stops it.

First calf I cut got down in the V of the catch and choked itself out. I took forever as it was my first time. I was able to revive the little fellow.

I always catch cows if they go in the chute. I had a couple try to climb out the top and didn't like the possibility of that scenario.

We had a heifer at the vets come out of the catch like she had broken both of her front legs!!! Scared the be geezers out of me! I kept asking the vet how did she break her legs, he just calming looked an me and told me to give her a few minutes and she would be fine. Guess what? After about 4 minutest she stopped scrambling around and was fine. He shared with me that she was pushing against the catch, and pushed on a nerve and lost feeling her her legs. Her catch was not tight, so no choking, just the nerve, kinda of like when your feet fall asleep.
Scared me to death!!!

Had one of the last remaining wild/crazy cows in the herd (only stayed as long as she did 'cause she raised the BEST calf) go down pushing hard against the headcatch in the crappy old chute we had 4 years ago - couldn't get her released 'til I ran to the barn and got a crowbar to pry the latch up with. I'm guessing she was like that for maybe 5 minutes, max. Must have avulsed both brachial plexuses(the main nerve trunks to the front legs), 'cause she never got up again.
Gave her repeated doses of dex & banamine, hauled her feed & water, flipped her at least 4 times a day. Still had fight in her for about 2 weeks, but when she gave up trying to get me, I knew it was all over.

30 minutes? Seems like an awful long time to do a pregnancy test.

TexasBred":1geo5646 said:
Hard to know without having seen it. I don't catch their head for palpating. Simply push them up to the headgate and palpate. Once you have you arm in they seldom ever try to back up and are much more relaxed than when they have their head caught.
We do some that way, but when we don't catch them and do it in the alley, we put a pipe or board in front and behind them.

I believe it was a nerve issue in this case, but probably from being cought for that long.

Latest posts