cow/calf vs stockers/precondition

Help Support CattleToday:

Bub

Reaction score
whats every one think which makes more money cow/calf or stockers/ precondition looking to expand the operation trying to figure out buy more cows or go into the stocker/ precondition calfs thanks

I have done both. and like everything else there are advantages and disadvantages to both. As far as stockers go, for the most part after they get started, there isn't usually a lot of work to do except for feeding, and treating occasional issues. Sometimes getting them started can be rough. If everything is stayed on top of and diagnosed and treated quickly then usually losses can be kept to a minimum, but it still can happen and then the investment becomes even more so. The fluctuation of the market can be devastating if bought high and sold low. All in all I prefer cows/calves. You still have the cows after calves are sold, and are not having to bring in and start groups of stockers. During calving it is more labor intense, and then bulls are another issue.

We have done both and fed cattle for an awful long time. The answer is both, sometimes. I'm a fan of vertical integration, it has served us very well. Diversity and involvement in multiple segments of our industry is a great hedge against market volatility in any given segment.

Latest posts