Cow/Calf ROA

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Did some digging after the "make a living" thread got locked. Found some round about wording that suggested modeling leased vs. deeded land, and pages of cow/calf numbers. Some ranch management systems break their data into low/medium/high profit groups. The "high" 18% ROA northern plains group had:

- much less land investment - - could be leased land or higher stocking rates or moving north (Aaron will like this)
- higher weaning rate percent of cows exposed, but lighter calves than average (Kit will like this)
- a little less spending in almost all direct cost categories (I need some work in this area)

So there you go. Spend less and produce more! :cowboy:

Stocker Steve":8rxpx2bz said:
Did some digging after the "make a living" thread got locked. Found some round about wording that suggested modeling leased vs. deeded land, and pages of cow/calf numbers. Some ranch management systems break their data into low/medium/high profit groups. The "high" 18% ROA northern plains group had:

- much less land investment - - could be leased land or higher stocking rates or moving north (Aaron will like this)
- higher weaning rate percent of cows exposed, but lighter calves than average (Kit will like this)
- a little less spending in almost all direct cost categories (I need some work in this area)

I did not get that memo ;-)

TCRanch":21oixo5w said:
I did not get that memo ;-)

Who would have thought???

The other key point is one that the "make a living" complainers are in denial about - - you can not have profitable cattle if you overpay for land and then blame cows for this. Most of the ag bean counters charge a nominal - - rent like - - fee per animal unit for grazing. Then the land costs beyond this are charged to a land enterprise, not a livestock enterprise.

Stocker Steve":2ioxrfmc said:

- higher weaning rate percent of cows exposed, but
lighter calves than average
(Kit will like this)

What weight was the calves and were they sold at weaning or back grounded?

Ag bean counters transfer calves at an approximate time to avoid comingling. They may be sold, or they may transfer into a seperate enterprise - - like back grounding.

Low ROA producers weaned 493# at 200 days
Medium ROA producers weaned 517# at 199 days
High ROA producers weaned 504# at 198 days

What I got out of it is that weaning weight has no correlation to ROA, :eek: for decent quality commercial cattle herds. Junk cattle would be different. Seed stock might be different.

Latest posts