Cow/Bull interaction

Help Support CattleToday:

oscarsteve

Reaction score
The bull was put with the cows April 13. So, today is his 62nd day with them. I plan to leave him in until June 28 (that's 76 days). This past calving season, all calves were born within 60 days. And that's what I like to see. I haven't seen him acting interested in any of the cows in quite a while and hope he's settled all of them (26). This afternoon I watched 3 different young cows ride the bull. Hate to sound dumb but...what's that about? Are they showing signs of being in heat? Or, are they already bred and hormones are making them crazy? I usually have the vet come out to preg check cows in mid September. I'd love to get your thoughts on this interaction. Thanks!

Odd that there are 3 involved, but unless other signs of heat are observed...
(mucus, swollen vulva, standing when ridden by the other 2 cows, blood on tail within next 72 hrs)
my guess is your cows are conspiring to mess with your head. :)
IF same bull as last year then he's proven he knows what to do and when to do it.

I find I watch the bull more than the cows.. though it depends on the bull too.. the one i have now doesn't care about cows unless they're coming into heat, so if he isn't paying much attention and not caring about a cow riding him, he knows. I have had some others always trying to mount a cow here or there, made it hard to tell when he was serious about it.
If it was here with my animals, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Latest posts