Cow bred late

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
My bull runs with the herd. I have an 8 year old
Red Angus who has always calved on time and she looks healthy, but this year, she calved six months late.

Is there any typical reason why this might happen, or is it like most issues and could have 100 reasons.

Six months is a lot. Usually they do not slip nearly that much. My guess is she aborted, and then rebred.
So the question could be - - what causes abortions after 4 to 5 months of gestation?

I have had 3 late this year, 2 have yet to calve. One will for sure catch a ride to the sale the next trip. If I was short on grass 2 would. One was a heifer that raised a nice calf last year but got thin on me, so I will give her a second chance.

tom4018 said:
I have had 3 late this year, 2 have yet to calve. One will for sure catch a ride to the sale the next trip. If I was short on grass 2 would. One was a heifer that raised a nice calf last year but got thin on me, so I will give her a second chance.

We need to tighten up on our calving season and ship the stragglers. I've only been saying that for 5 years.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
tom4018 said:

We need to tighten up on our calving season and ship the stragglers. I've only been saying that for 5 years.
Had the best year on a tight calving season last year and 3 got out of sync this year.

tom4018 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
tom4018 said:

Had the best year on a tight calving season last year and 3 got out of sync this year.

It happens I suppose.

We fall calve starting first of Sept. (heifers calve one cycle ahead of cows, so early August). We AI the week of Thanksgiving. For the last few years we've kept bull in for 65d and that is it. We do ultrasound preg check around 95d post AI so we can get a more accurate preg check, plus we are able to get fetal sexing done on all the AI's and nearly all of the cows bred on first service by the bull. Most years, we are at 85-90% bred after bull has first shot post AI. We sell any opens and "stragglers" that are bred after the first service unless she is a real good cow, in which case, we give her one more chance. Next year though, she'd better be AI or first service or she's heading to town. We only have about 40 cows so we are not a huge operation. This is not our main source of income either, so that makes it easier to be a little harder on the cows than we would if we were relying solely on the farming income. This year, we had no open cows, but sold 4 of the stragglers. last year we had 100% bred either AI or first service. Sometimes it's a home run and sometimes its just a base hit.

You can feed up stragglers to get more in season cows, but it may not be economical. When we feed alfalfa mix hay we seldom had a late cow, but wintering costs were much higher.

Ideally the stragglers fit someone else's calving season and you can get decent money for them.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
tom4018 said:

I had one that rejected a calf july of last year and selling off my herd and only keeping 11 total I figured id give her a second chance bulls always with her conditioning good minerals etc however this june bull bred her so this November when all my calves leave she is leaving and I will replace her with a BWF or a polled Hereford or char/angus cross

Latest posts