cow bred 7 days ago riding others today?

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
Noticed a cow (had her first calf in Mar.) trying to ride other cows today. I know we bred her. Checked the calander and she was bred seven days ago. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

Some one else may be in heat. If she stands to be ridden then it's a concern. Otherwise it's probably just cows being cows

She's definitely the one who's bugging the others, but it is hot and humid here today. I will let one of the steers out to do a little "sniffin" around. Just looking for trouble I guess.

Just got back in from watching her and she is standing when the steer rides her. She now has the attention of some of the other cows too. She has that bug-eyed look to her eyes also. Guess I'll have to call my neighbor (he AI's for us and has been doing it on their large dairy for years) he might have some ideas.

LoveMoo11":12xel6jo said:
She could be cystic.
That is what I am thinking as well LM.
If she had a good strong standing heat when you bred her 7 days ago and she is in standing heat again I would guess cystic as well. Do a Gnrh and prostaglandin protocol and breed her again.

Thanks for the replies! It's never boring with cattle! We only have 9 cows and we seem to go through something new EVERY year! You'd think the percentage of things happening would be lower with a small herd!

hillsdown":3h908r3c said:
LoveMoo11":3h908r3c said:
She could be cystic.
That is what I am thinking as well LM.
If she had a good strong standing heat when you bred her 7 days ago and she is in standing heat again I would guess cystic as well. Do a Gnrh and prostaglandin protocol and breed her again.
Yup to custic and yup to GNRh and PGF2

But - if she was really standing the last time, and it was her FIRST heat, it is really quite common for them to come into heat 7-10 days after FIRST heat. The first one was not a good heat. Too late for you to go ahead and breed her now. And GNRH & PG shots will work.
If it had been mine, I would have bred her on this good standing heat - unless I was using really expensive semen. Than, if she repeated in another "too early" cycle, I would "know" she was cystic.

Latest posts