Reaction score
Just a couple of pictures of some cows.
957_348.ts1131499126347.jpg
929_348.ts1131499095853.jpg
952_348.ts1131499039372.jpg

and that looks like an interesting "cow" in the top left picture. :shock:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1cne1akz said:
That Longhorn at the hay ring is a might lean! :cboy:

Maybe cause it is a LONGHORN eating out of a RING?????????

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1asdiwrp said:
Mine are eating out of a ring and are a helleva lot thicker than that. ;-)

Had to help the horned herf bull out of the ring this morning. Idiot can sure nuff get his head in, but wears the ring for a necklace till I help him out.
Climb in, grab his horns, give them a twist and boot him in the nose. Removed the last ring from the field this morning. He managed to get his head caught in everyone. I hauled the rings out as he got caught in them. Took 3 months. :roll:

Gotta love them docile herfs.

certherfbeef":2784ko14 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2784ko14 said:
Mine are eating out of a ring and are a helleva lot thicker than that. ;-)

Had to help the horned herf bull out of the ring this morning. Idiot can sure nuff get his head in, but wears the ring for a necklace till I help him out.
Climb in, grab his horns, give them a twist and boot him in the nose. Removed the last ring from the field this morning. He managed to get his head caught in everyone. I hauled the rings out as he got caught in them. Took 3 months. :roll:

Gotta love them docile herfs.

I have never asked but find I am now very curious.

Why use those darned hay rings - why not go to tombstone feeders for horned animals?

Lots of folks complain about the horns in the rings - seems a very common problem.

All we use here is the Tombstone and it works like a charm.

Regards,

Bez

Bez'":1g4zpsnb said:
All we use here is the Tombstone and it works like a charm.

I find it quite amusing when the idiot gets caught. But, we still use the rings for the replacements and he was in the heifer pasture. Just havn't had to buy any new rings lately. So have no real need to go out and purchase tombstone feeders till the rings are rendered scrap metal.
Depending on the pasture the cows winter in...we usually unroll the hay down the hill and don't use the rings.

And most of the cows are dehorned. Just the bull with a substantial "rack" on him. Not really a problem, just un-sticking him helps to break up the monotany of the day. :lol:

The old girl at the hay ring is about about to turn 19 years old. She was born on the King Ranch of Texas in 1986. She seems happy enough, but does look a little bony. She gets the worming treatment every now and then and seems healthy enough.
The bull is 6 years old, and gentle as a lamb. Just have to stand clear of those horns when he swings his head. I measured them once at about 60 inches tip to tip.

ALACOWMAN":2n4flibd said:
You have about every breed of bovines in your mix. please tell me that longhorn bull aint bred those brahman

Well, at least with a Texas Longhorn bull bred to a Brahman cow there should be NO calving problems whatsoever! Two hard contractions and that little Longhorn calf might just shoot out of that big Brahman birth canal like a bottle rocket! :shock:

Looks like old Buck really wants to get into the rodeo business. Longhorns + Brahmans = Plummers. Ropers and maybe a good bucker or two. :?:

Buck, when was the last time that old gal had a shot of IvomecPlus? (every now and then?)

Arnold Ziffle":298kbqs3 said:
Looks like old Buck really wants to get into the rodeo business.
  • Longhorns + Brahmans = Plummers.
Ropers and maybe a good bucker or two. :?:

Buck, when was the last time that old gal had a shot of IvomecPlus? (every now and then?)
Do they call them plummers cause when they walk in the sale ring you see the price plummet :?: