County laws

Help Support CattleToday:

Kentucky used the same concept to collect property taxes. The law was passed about 8 years ago. It allowed private law firms to collect delinquent property taxes. The laws firms would go to the courthouse and buy the delinquent taxes for what was due. The county was happy because they got the taxes paid. Then the law firm went after the property owner with the threat that the property would be sold for the amount due - which the state authorized them to do. You either paid what they wanted or your property was sold at public auction, the amount due the law firm was deducted from the proceeds and the owner got what was left. It worked well for the county. It worked well for the law firm. The property owner took a beating. I heard there was nothing you could do. If your delinquent amount was a thousand dollars, sometimes the amount you were charged was 5,000 to keep from losing your property. I know. I was living in Montana and missed getting a property tax bill. Must have gotten lost. I got a letter demanding payment from a law firm. A bill that would have cost me $750, ended up costing me about $2000 after I negotiated it down from the $5,000 they billed me for.

Notice the refer to "Former D.A. Craig Watkins"....he was not re-elected. Never did anything the entire time he was in office but try to get old death penalties overturned.

Delinquent taxes however are a different animal. A Tax lien is a superior lien to even the lst lien held by the mortgage company.

TexasBred":8cpznqld said:
Notice the refer to "Former D.A. Craig Watkins"....he was not re-elected. Never did anything the entire time he was in office but try to get old death penalties overturned.

At least he understood that if anything is going to get done you can't leave it to the government to do it and it needs to be handled by private enterprise. That speaks a lot for this guy I think. Says he's smarter than most I think.

Jogeephus":3eanbxsv said:
TexasBred":3eanbxsv said:

At least he understood that if anything is going to get done you can't leave it to the government to do it and it needs to be handled by private enterprise. That speaks a lot for this guy I think. Says he's smarter than most I think.

I had that thought as I read the post. Not related to Watkins, never heard of him. Briefly, governments are authorized to:

1. Generate Revenue by taxes, fees, etc.
2. Spend revenue

They have no authority to enter into commerce.

Therefore, private enterprise, in this case law firms are far more effective. If the county government was as aggressive as the law firm that collected my delinquent property taxes, citizens would protest.

Jogeephus":3n8bgdbd said:
TexasBred":3n8bgdbd said:

Jo I failed to mention that his biggest fault was taking "payola" from these big folks.

inyati13":1dsl868b said:
Jogeephus":1dsl868b said:
TexasBred":1dsl868b said:

I had that thought as I read the post. Not related to Watkins, never heard of him. Briefly, governments are authorized to:

2. Spend revenue

Therefore, private enterprise, in this case law firms are far more effective. If the county government was as aggressive as the law firm that collected my delinquent property taxes, citizens would protest.

Are you saying we don't need district attorneys?

Jogeephus":lsgzjt1y said:
inyati13":lsgzjt1y said:
Jogeephus":lsgzjt1y said:

2. Spend revenue

Are you saying we don't need district attorneys?

No. Has nothing to do with DA. I am commenting on the following concept where the county turned the prosecution of Mr. Grady over to a law firm based on a contingency-fee provision. The following quote is from the OP article:

"Grady's Dallas attorney, Michael R. Goldman, blames the "ridiculas and unconscionable" legal action on the county's hiring of a private law firm to prosecute the state lawsuit with a contingency-fee provision. That means the law firm gets to keep a percentage of whatever is collected.

My point was the same as yours, that a private enterprise is much more experienced and effective at performing this kind of action.

PS: as in the Kentucky property tax example, government is ever searching for ways to avoid the nasty job of performing "collection". Everyone prefers to be a "good" guy. Sometimes that is not possible.

Edited to add:
In both the Grady case and the law in Kentucky allowing a private party to perform the government obligation of collection with the incentive to collect more than a just sum is a miscarriage of the government's obligation. In these examples, being more efficient than the government is resulting in "over collection". Unless you agree that a $2 billion fine is justified for making a wood pile!!!

Ok, I follow you now. I also believe if you fired a third of the bureaucrats we wouldn't see any change in whatever services they claim to provide for us.

BTW - For 10% of the fine they are looking for to remove the wood pile I'll gladly remove it by Monday. Between me and you, if they have a shrewd negotiator they could probably get me to do it for a case of beer and some pork rinds.

Jogeephus":2jyv7gxx said:
Ok, I follow you now. I also believe if you fired a third of the bureaucrats we wouldn't see any change in whatever services they claim to provide for us.

BTW - For 10% of the fine they are looking for to remove the wood pile I'll gladly remove it by Monday. Between me and you, if they have a shrewd negotiator they could probably get me to do it for a case of beer and some pork rinds.

:banana:

Haha, that's funny. That pic of a woodpile in the link is a flagrant misrepresentation of the "woodpile" in question. The "woodpile" in question was deconstructed industrial building materials amounting to 60 truck loads. Already been removed.

There was a person in Hunt County that had his finger in ever deal that came down the pike. He owned a two story building that was the Sears and Roebuck building. Sears quit and not another lessee for the building. The good old boy gave the building to the city free. The city took it and paid a fortune to take it down because of lead and asbestos. I suspect that the lumber may have been some of the lumber on the fifty acres.

elsee t

hurleyjd":28snlzuo said:
There was a person in Hunt County that had his finger in ever deal that came down the pike. He owned a two story building that was the Sears and Roebuck building. Sears quit and not another lessee for the building. The good old boy gave the building to the city free. The city took it and paid a fortune to take it down because of lead and asbestos. I suspect that the lumber may have been some of the lumber on the fifty acres.

That sounds about right.

ga.prime":1ussj2df said:
Haha, that's funny. That pic of a woodpile in the link is a flagrant misrepresentation of the "woodpile" in question. The "woodpile" in question was deconstructed industrial building materials amounting to 60 truck loads. Already been removed.

OK. That changes the picture.

he sold the land in 2002 and they are suing him now he claims he does not know when the waste debris showed up at what point are we not liable for real estate that we once owned

Latest posts