County Fair

Help Support CattleToday:

LaurenE

Reaction score
I just got back from my county fair and I thought that I would share the results. My steer got first in his class!! I was told that he would have a pretty good chance at grand or reserve, but the judge was choosing huge steers. The grand ended up being 1446 pounds and the reserve was not far behind him. Out of my chapter, we got 2 out of 5 first in classes, 3 seconds, 1 fourth, and 1 fifth. I can't wait until I get my next years calf in about a month! Thanks for all your help! I will have to post some pictures when I gat them. :D

Way to go on your win. Sounds like ya'll had a great time!

Congratulations!

Ryan

Great Job with your Steer. How many steers in your County Show? Do you have a Bonus/Premium Auction?

Thanks, we had I believe 68 steers at the show. What is a Bonus/ Premium Auction?

Thanks, we had I believe 68 steers at the show. What is a Bonus/ Premium Auction?

LaurenE":ns01djlh said:

That's about the same number we have in our county. We had 170 Goats this year. We are a county of about 35,000 popualtion.

In the Oklahoma Junior Shows, most prospects are shown in the Fall, and market are shown in the Spring. The County Spring Shows have a Premium Auction for the Champions and other selected winners for Steers, Heifers, Gilts, Boars, Ewes, Wether Lambs, Does, and Wether Goats.

No animals are sold at the Auction. Business owners bid on the animals, but pay a Cash Premium to the Exhibitor which helps support their livestock projects.

Congratulations :) :clap: Sounds like you did a good job. 1446 was about what our Reserve Grand Ch was last year...I think maybe he was 1460? Big steer nonetheless. Mine was 1386.

LaurenE":ct2htmz3 said:
I just got back from my county fair and I thought that I would share the results. My steer got first in his class!!

Congratulations, Lauren! Good job! :D :D :D

Congratulations!! Job well done! :clap: Good luck next year!

Congratz, sounds like the kids in your chapter know what they are doing! What county are you in? Im in Pasco, my steer placed 6th in his class but ended up winning the carcass contest, but everyone says thats how it goes, the Grand Champion of the show hardly ever grades.

Thanks for all of your support! I am in Lake county. At our fair we do not have a premium auction, the steers are auctioned at an open auction, but most go to be butchered. I can wait for next year, which actually starts in about a month!

cowboy13":3w3s33py said:
LaurenE":3w3s33py said:
The grand ended up being 1446 pounds and the reserve was not far behind him.

Man, it must be way different in Florida, becuase here, you can't hardly find a judge anymore that will take them over 1300#. The packers usually won't take calves over 1400# here.
At Houston, the largest Simbrah at the show was in my class (heavyweight, obviously) and he weight 1568 I think. It may have been 1586 but I know he was in the 15s.

cowboy13":2un120fu said:
I didn't say they didn't get that big, I just said judges won't use them.
I know. :p Was just sharing with everyone.

Most of the time, judges won't look at the larger ones. They usually pick a champ in the 1150-1250 range, but this judge liked them BIG... At my fair, you only get paid for meat up to 1350, so I don't see the point in pushing them far past that.

LaurenE":1wvupett said:
Most of the time, judges won't look at the larger ones. They usually pick a champ in the 1150-1250 range, but this judge liked them BIG... At my fair, you only get paid for meat up to 1350, so I don't see the point in pushing them far past that.
Some of those bigger framed calves in the heavyweight classes don't necessarily need to be pushed to get there. My calf was a terrible eater and made it io 1368, himself. But there again...it comes down to the breed, there.

Latest posts