Cotton Seed

Help Support CattleToday:

junofarms2

Reaction score
OK here goes, I live in the southern Alabama, Alot of farmers down here feed cotton Seed in the winterto their cows. Cotton crops here are big, we get the cotton seed from the Cotton Gin. OUr vert feeds Cotton Seed, I'm wondering if there is any merit in what has been said about cotten seed making young bulls steril. I have 3 yr old Charlois Bull. I like the cotton seed for conveinence, has any one heard this and is there any merit in it.
Going to call vet back to see if he cuts his bull out when feeding, but I doubt it.
Brian

junofarms2":24rxw1se said:
OK here goes, I live in the southern Alabama, Alot of farmers down here feed cotton Seed in the winterto their cows. Cotton crops here are big, we get the cotton seed from the Cotton Gin. OUr vert feeds Cotton Seed, I'm wondering if there is any merit in what has been said about cotten seed making young bulls steril. I have 3 yr old Charlois Bull. I like the cotton seed for conveinence, has any one heard this and is there any merit in it.
Going to call vet back to see if he cuts his bull out when feeding, but I doubt it.
Brian

It is not just the bull you have to worry about can cause serious health problems including death.

Cuastic,
Have seen you alot around here, anyway would it affect cows differently depending on the region of country you are in ? What affects would it have and why do so many people use it ?

junofarms2":17h4qb67 said:
Cuastic,
Have seen you alot around here, anyway would it affect cows differently depending on the region of country you are in ? What affects would it have and why do so many people use it ?

If the concentration is not right causes a heart problem in heifers . People use cause it's cheap protien and readily available. I am not saying it is all bad you just can't pour cottenseed in a feeder.

So your suggesting if your going to feed it, don't feed it free choice, MIne don't seem to eat very much of it. Looks like they eat some and leave it alone. It's easy to get and not pricey. my cows look very good, just not sure about it yet.

That website that you posted was very helpful, I'm going to continue feeding it but will manage it better , ration the amount I feed better. Go by the articules reccomnedaed doses.

If your going to feed cottonseed meal and I have you should have a 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 mix. Your local co-op should mix the feed. You should not need to supplement at all if you have hay except minerals.

Cuastic,
I am feeding cotton seed the (whole seed). After reading the articles, the Auburn article specifically mentions Alabama region. I am going to feed according to their feeding rates. I don't have any young heifers in the bunch they are in the feedlot. The bull was my only concern, I am going to cut back pull them off free choice. They do have hay, and ryegrass range + minerals. Should be ok, they look good.

I am feeding about 5 to 7 pounds per day to the cattle that I breding AI. The bulls that are beeing raised for the EPD sale are fed cattle 13 whitch does not have cotton seed.
The clean up bull will be on cotton seed with the cows.
I bought cotton seed 3 weeks ago for $100 a ton but last week it was up to $130 a ton. What are y'all paying? It just keeps going up. I was uesing it 3 years ago at $70 a ton.

What part of Alabama you located in? I paid 115 / ton 12-26-06.

I have one bull and have just started feeding this and was concerned. My vet feeds it. I have been feedng free choice so like I don't really have a way to weigh it very good. But how many lbs will fill a five gal. bucket???

junofarms2":176ni5gi said:
I have one bull and have just started feeding this and was concerned. My vet feeds it. I have been feedng free choice so like I don't really have a way to weigh it very good. But how many lbs will fill a five gal. bucket???

Offhand I'd guess 8-10lbs. I can put 20lbs of corn in a 5 gallon bucket; cottonseed is a lot lighter. It's been awhile since I've weighed it, but I think a coffee can holds 1-1.5lbs, think it's 8 cans per 5 gallon bucket.

milkmaid":308h7q0u said:
junofarms2":308h7q0u said:

Offhand I'd guess 8-10lbs. I can put 20lbs of corn in a 5 gallon bucket; cottonseed is a lot lighter. It's been awhile since I've weighed it, but I think a coffee can holds 1-1.5lbs, think it's 8 cans per 5 gallon bucket.

I bet it's a little more than that. I can put almost 1/2 a 50 lb. bag of range cubes in a 5 gallon bucket. My guess is it's more like 20 lbs, to a 5 gallon bucket.

If you pack it in and get it slap full it will be between 20 and 25 pounds. I figer 20 pounds to the bucket.
I get my seed at the Carville Gin just east of Tallassee. Al.

Latest posts