Costs--raising beef

Help Support CattleToday:

sros990

Reaction score
When I retire, I would like to raise 2-3 steers on 8 acres of pasture that I own. I would buy the steers in spring, graze them through October, and then I would have one butchered for the freezer and sell the others.

Although I was initially excited about raising cattle, it appears that raising beef is a very expensive hobby. Can anyone give me some a rough estimate of how much it would cost, if I'm starting from scratch. These are the things I think I need:

1. Lime property every three years
2. Fertilize
3. Frost seed with legumes
4. Fence 8 acres (including labor)
5. Develop water source (I can use water from house well if that's OK)
6.Minimal handling facilities
7.Price for 2-3 steers weighing about 600 pounds
8.Vet bills
9. Delivery of steer to processor
10.Butchering and Processing

Thanks,
Steve

For raising a couple of steers on 8 acres you may not need to do everything you listed.

1. Lime: To get the most production out of your field you may want to lime but on the other hand you may grow enough grass without liming at all. Your goal is to raise a couple steers not maximize production. Soil test to find out before liming.

2. Fertilizer: Again soil test. And only fertilize to the level of production needed. Maybe about $200 a year

3. Legumes: They are an asset in a lot of ways but not required. Seed about 3 pounds per acre at a cost of $2.00 a pound.

4. Fence: Good fence is needed. With labor somewheres around $2.50 a foot. That figure will vary greatly around the country. Fence cost runs about half material and half labor.

5. Water: Well water is fine. You can buy a water trough for $60 or use an old bath tub. A cheap float valve cost $15 and a garden hose.

6. That few animals a 20 by 20 corral that is set up so you can herd animals in and load them out will work. Again regionally cost will vary but I could build that here for less than $300. But it should last for years.

7. Price of steers: 3 head of 600 weight steers at ??? $1.10 would be $1,980.

8. Vet: With those size animals vet bills should be fair rare. My dad raised a steer or two when I was growing up in this same sort of manner. I don't remember him ever having the vet out.

9. Delivery: Here it would run about $25. Send all the steers at the same time. Generally cost is per trip, not per head.

10. Butchering: here we have mobile farm slaughter at $50 and cut and wrap at 37 cents a pound.

dont forget facilities!!! even if you do just have 2 or 3 i garuntee you will need a headgate atleast one time. and then the pen to catch load them with. or the panels to funnel them into the trailer or headgate.

I don't think they would get big enough, nor finish very well just grazing for 4-5 months. Vet bills would be minimal, if any. Get a soil test to see what you need.

Around here all the vets have headgates and chutes that they will bring out and use. I think they only charge 25 dollars to bring it out and use it, reither it's one or 200 hd that you are working. cheap!!!

Also, consider that when you retire you might want to travel some, so good fencing to keep them in is important. Plus, you will need someone to check on them when you are away. Trees can blow over your fences, cows can get heads caught between trees, float break on your water trough and keep running, water from well could stop and now the trough is dry, etc.

I have a small operation and would not change for the enjoyment I get from it (most of the time), just other things to consider other than the $$$.

Enjoy !!!

TNCowman, sounds like we have about the same luck. Seems like with my small operation I can't get away with anything. Mr. Murphy (the guy who created the law) is always out at my place.

Trees blown over and flattened fence, cattle in the creek: CHECK
Broken pipe on waterer: CHECK
Cows finding ways out of good, tight, 6 wire fence: CHECK
Aborted calf: Check
Prolapse:Check
Paralyzed rear end after 1st calf: CHECK

The list goes on, you get the picture. What amazes me is one of the largest seedstock breeders in the west is not too far from me, and leased 80 acres of pasture adjacent to mine for a couple years. In short, I got to watch the operation pretty closely. They've got fence that any bovine with a little gumption could get out of with ease, yet they seem content to stay in pasture. They kept 50 or 60 head on that place next to me, and never a problem with a calf, fence, or anything as near as I can recall. I think the difference with nearly all of the problems between the larger very well bred herd and mine with less than a dozen head (except the first 2 issues which were bad luck) is genetics. A good number of sale barn cattle are there for a reason. I'm buying commercial cattle now by private treaty and don't have as many of those issues.

Are you going to be Grain finishing them along with the pasture? If so I would not think you would need much to do to pasture if it is in good shape when you start.

If you are going to grass finish them then maybe so.

I would put up good fence, Water trough maybe a automatic water-er if you will be doing this year after year. I would buy me some portable cattle panels that could be used as catch pen and for loading out. I have even used them for doctoring by swinging one panel around to make Jimmy rigged squeeze chute.

If I was going to eat one then I would not do much except worm once when I get them.

MY":2gm01i0u said:
The list goes on, you get the picture. What amazes me is one of the largest seedstock breeders in the west is not too far from me, and leased 80 acres of pasture adjacent to mine for a couple years. In short, I got to watch the operation pretty closely. They've got fence that any bovine with a little gumption could get out of with ease, yet they seem content to stay in pasture. They kept 50 or 60 head on that place next to me, and never a problem with a calf, fence, or anything as near as I can recall. I think the difference with nearly all of the problems between the larger very well bred herd and mine with less than a dozen head (except the first 2 issues which were bad luck) is genetics. A good number of sale barn cattle are there for a reason. I'm buying commercial cattle now by private treaty and don't have as many of those issues.

there bred to be like that after awhile, i swear. my neighbor is the exact same way. and every once and a great while when they do get out, they go right back in! but if one of mines get just one out the dumba$$ takes about an hour messing around with my head before he decides to go back in. :mad:

MY":28kg17sq said:
TNCowman, sounds like we have about the same luck. Seems like with my small operation I can't get away with anything. Mr. Murphy (the guy who created the law) is always out at my place.

Trees blown over and flattened fence, cattle in the creek: CHECK
Broken pipe on waterer: CHECK
Cows finding ways out of good, tight, 6 wire fence: CHECK
Aborted calf: Check
Prolapse:Check
Paralyzed rear end after 1st calf: CHECK

They probably have shipped heavily. Every now and then we get a cow that likes to go out and she leaves, no matter what her calf is like or she is like. She'll teach the others to be fence crawlers. Our fences aren't great but we've discovered it saves money to ship the ones that will go our rather than try to get up all new great fences. Our neighbours were amazed during the floods because we had no fences on three sides to keep the cows in their field but they all stayed home. They know their boundaries. Besides why would they want to leave, they are spoiled rotten here.

I'm with the others, test your soil before you can figure out your costs for that. You will need to check your area for fencing costs. Put in a corral with a runway, you may or may not need a headgate but if you do then check to see if you can get a used one. Really for 2-3 steers you shouldn't use it much but it can be nice to have. If you don't have one though as long as you have a runway with sturdy posts you can always throw a halter on the calf and tie their heads down if necessary. You can pay the money to put in a waterer or you can get a few buckets and a hose depending on whether you feel like watering them a couple times a day. Most of the expense in getting into what you want to do is for the big things that will last a long time. The meat you will eat will be worth it.

Latest posts