Cost of Living in Western Nebraska

Help Support CattleToday:

TripleB

Reaction score
Ok, just doing some preliminary research here but I was wondering what the cost of land, utilities and such are like in western Nebraska? Are there a lot of agriculture jobs availible out there for people with little or no experience? Could someone survive out there making say $25,000 to $30,000 a year? :?:

its tough to live anywhere on that amount.

western neb is big in agriculture. im sure you would be able to find something.

TripleB":2cftkbd0 said:
Ok, just doing some preliminary research here but I was wondering what the cost of land, utilities and such are like in western Nebraska? Are there a lot of agriculture jobs availible out there for people with little or no experience? Could someone survive out there making say $25,000 to $30,000 a year? :?:

Western Nebraska is about 11 miles down the road from me, so I have some serious doubts that you would even find an agriculture job making that much without experience - a lot of office jobs requiring a year or more experience don't pay 25,000/year. Most agriculture jobs in my area that I've seen advertised pay $1000/month. Yes, you can survive on 12,000/year here but, unless your mode of living is very simple, you will only survive - you will not live. Most places will require 6 days/week, and long, hard hours. I work 7 days a week/usually 12 hours a day - but I am employed by my folks and our renter(irrigating), and that is what is needed to get the job done. I'm guesstimating on the cost of land based on what I've heard, but I believe it's roughly 2000 - 3000/acre, depending on the land and area - you might want to google that to be sure. I don't know about utilities, the only phone service is Embarq and basic service runs about 80.00/month. If you live in the country, television is either antennae(2-3 channels), or satellite(dishnetwork or directv- you can get a good package from directv for approx 50/month. I have Directv, so I don't know about Dish). The upside is that it's generally quiet, peaceful living, the people are friendly, and generally willing to help. I hope this helps.

Latest posts