Cost of feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
What is the rate per ton or tonne of custom mix feed in bulk. In the US and Canada.

Here in our part of Australia we pay $255 per tonne (1,000kgs = tonne)
+ delivery per tonne of $35.
Our produce supplier delivers it to our feeders at whatever amount we ask for. During the drought we had to pay up to $335 per tonne. Many other companies were up to $500 per tonne.
Other companies now charge $300 per tonne + delivery.

Colin :?:

As anywhere esle it varies due to location as well as ingredients.
Currently we pay $145 US ton for bagged 12% with no frills or add ons, mostly wheat mids, and soy hull.

For our calf starter we are at about 240.00 US for bulk. 16% medicated sweet pellets.

Whole corn is $200 ton bagged or 160. bulk.

Corn glutten is around $115 ton bulk.

Chicken manure is almost free, BUT WE DON'T feed chicken sh*t to our cattle!!! :mad: .

Custom mix is between $195 and $225 based on ingredients.
No delivery here as we are rather extremely rural and don't meet the minimums for tractor loads.

Medic24

Corn is expensive where you are. Here whole dried corn from the farmer is 85 bucks a ton.

Bez

Corn = $162 per ton bagged. $155 bulk. I buy bagged, not enough difference to justify handling the bulk.
Rolled Barley = $210 per ton bagged.
Breeder Cubes = $204 per ton bagged.

I don't buy any mixed feeds at the present time.

Bez":3e3cwnkg said:
Medic24

Corn is expensive where you are. Here whole dried corn from the farmer is 85 bucks a ton.

Bez

Great price, wish I had that price right now.

Just read the latest ag paper here. My price was off a bit.

Corn sells to the elevators in Ontario at 90 - 95 bucks Canadian per ton at the moment. Pick up from the farm is usually less because the grower has less to do and does not have to pay the trucker.

The exchange rate on your dollar is around 1.23.

So it is even less in U.S. bucks. Somewhere around 73 - 77 bucks a ton at the elevator.

Might pay to truck if you have enough buyers.

Fortunately I get it for free - as long as you do not count my time driving the neighbours combine.

Bez

just wondering why corn is so expensive in your areas... corn is cheap right now... i have been giving 80-82 dollars a ton this year, in the bulk.

jt

Most custom mixes around here are 250 - 300 a ton. Depends on how complicated or off the wall the design is. I use peanut cake that gos for 250 and some stuff called stocker ten that is a mixed grain that gos for like 225.

Scotty

Our standard grain ration that get's fed to everything that needs grain is mostly corn gluten pellets The rest is mostly soyhull pellets with a small percentage of whole cottonseed, whole (or sometimes) cracked corn, bovatec, and minerals. Runs around $135 a ton delivered in my feed storage bin.

dun

I suspect it is several factors that contribute to the high price of everything here, As we live in a rugged mountainous area, there are few if any farms that raise enuff corn or other grain crop to sell locally, and if they do, they too are going to sell at a premium.
Everything has to be trucked in. And we can't even get the feed mills to deliver anything except huge bulk here, unless we buy a tractor load at a time. We would not use that much in five years!

As an example, our local market is forced to purchase super pasturized drinking milk with a very long shelf life, as the dairy will only deliver on a weekly basis, unlike most other areas. Costs a bit more.

In an attempt to grow cattle a bit less expensively and without as much purchased forage, I thought about starting kudzu on some of our hillsdies that don't grow grass well, I understand that cattle will eat it as a last choice, but I like my neighbors and I have no desire to get shot by any of them.

13% sweetfeed $200/ton - Local coop

Shelled corn $80/ton - Local farmer

A local man only charges $20 load to grind.. adding our own salt/mineral/molasses.. it's brings the final price to around $110/ton.

We did 14 tons in 100lb bags over the last 2 Saturday's.. my back is still hurting.

20% protein all natural cubes in 50# bags run $185 per ton. 14% protein creep pellets in 50# bags are $165 per ton. Both are about $20-30 per ton cheaper in bulk.

There's a company in Perryville (Gilster-marylee) that makes cereal and cake mixes and those leftovers go to Buchheits who pellets them. Its 14% protein and sells for $118.00 ton.

Creep feed $165.00 ton (also from Buchheits) and they also have a medicated creep feed which I think is $218 ton.

NCfarmer":3tx8y9v5 said:
We can get High Peformance Feeder Blend, which consists of all grains and peanut hulls, for $128/ton.

Hey Im from NC and I was wondering where you are buying the feed. I have used Deal Feeds and Performance in the past. I recently bought a load of Wheat midd pellets and Im not very pleased with them . we mix our on feed for now.

Hello,
I am looking to buy shelled corn #2 grade, bagged, by the ton. I have a local Corn Stove shop in Boone, NC. And I need a reliable source. You can email me at [email protected] or call at 828-264-9795 or 240-431-3594. Thanks in advance!

Australian Cattleman":1lbbmc87 said:
What is the rate per ton or tonne of custom mix feed in bulk. In the US and Canada.

Here in our part of Australia we pay $255 per tonne (1,000kgs = tonne)
+ delivery per tonne of $35.
Our produce supplier delivers it to our feeders at whatever amount we ask for. During the drought we had to pay up to $335 per tonne. Many other companies were up to $500 per tonne.
Other companies now charge $300 per tonne + delivery.

Colin :?:

Because of the expense it is always cheaper to buy the corn and additives and mix it yourself if you can. I pay around $80/ton for corn. My whole mix cost me around $120/ton and I pay another local farmer to mix it for me with his mixer.

Latest posts