Cost of an AI tech

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Without hijacking the AI thread, I'm wondering what AI techs charge in your area, and do they charge a farm call? I assume they may also charge to come out and give a shot to bring them in heat. I kind of thinking of doing it on the side, I haven't gone to school yet but I have 4 people that want me to AI for them.... :roll: I told them they better have a good clean up bull.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":1fjpd6ir said:
Without hijacking the AI thread, I'm wondering what AI techs charge in your area, and do they charge a farm call? I assume they may also charge to come out and give a shot to bring them in heat. I kind of thinking of doing it on the side, I haven't gone to school yet but I have 4 people that want me to AI for them.... :roll: I told them they better have a good clean up bull.

Thanks,
Alan

You'll be better off doing it for free for a while to get some experience.

I wouldn't recommend jumping straight from AI school to an AI business.

Many charge depending on how many head you have for them to do each time. Like if you have ten head to inseminate at one time, they may lower the price. I've heard around here that guys are charging anywhere 10 to 25 per head depending how far they have to travel and so many head to inseminate.

A friend of mine and I are both sales reps for AI studs and we can set our own rates. I charge $15 per head, but I will give a rebate if they buy semen from me and depending on how many head are to be done at one time. My friend charges the same, but only gives a discount if they buy semen from him.

It's going to vary from area to area. Another thing, don't tell guys they will need a good cleanup bull if you do the work. Get to a school and learn how to AI, and then do the work if you feel comfortable doing it for other people.

I never intended to do AI for anyone else, but the words getting around through different avenues, and I see an oppurtunity to make a little extra money. If I do it for anyone else I be up front with them and let them know my experience level.

But I'm not going to drive 30 miles one way at $3 per gallon and do it for free for someone I hardly know. I would for a freind. I'm also not going to AI a cow tied to a tree or fence... saftey first.

I'm just curious to what kind of money is made in it. If you charge $15 a head for 3 or 4 head that barely pays for gas.

Alan

You make your profit on volume but you're not going to get rich doing it any way.

AI isn't exactly a complicated process and there isn't much a premium for the services.

I've never bred one tied to a tree. I have tied a panel to the fence and swung it around on them and bred them. Once you get an arm in them they usually don't try much, seems i would try and get the heck out of there myself. I think they could move side to side with the tree method.

Beef11":1534fwbn said:
I've never bred one tied to a tree. I have tied a panel to the fence and swung it around on them and bred them. Once you get an arm in them they usually don't try much, seems i would try and get the heck out of there myself. I think they could move side to side with the tree method.

You sure you wasn,t just tryen that stump breaking I heard about. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts