Cost in relation? High cattle prices?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ

Reaction score
It seems like the price for breds is way out of relation to the current price for what that calf will be worth...How is everyone paying such a high price? I need to start selling breds instead of calves. Not really what a cow calf operation is supposed to do... :shock:

Overall cattle numbers are low.

We should be in an expansion mode, which will make breds higher?

Plus the fact that FAT heifers are bring the same price as steers now?

you know the reason that breds are high is because of all the droughts thats been happening.an everyone is trying to rebuild their herds.so that keeps the prices high.calves are low because of 2 things.the feedlots are selling finished cattle.an keeping their pens empty.an the feed prices keep going up.an its costing the feedlots more by putting in 500 to 700lb calves.i think the feedlots are wanting 800 to 900lb calves placed in feedlots.thus feducing the days the cattle are on feed.

I don't think they are all that high, at least around here. I was always told at least 2 steer calves for one bred cow. Steers have sold from $600 to $800 - so that should make $1200 to $1600 cows. I have seen alot of $1200 but $1400 is ussually the top.

due to drought of 2007 many sold their cows so here it is 2008 and the few that want to sell cows have a sellers market going on.

Time for Economics 101------- Supply/Demand curve---- Nothing beats a college education matched with good ole cattle know- how

does it?

simangus23":3kdv65wr said:
due to drought of 2007 many sold their cows so here it is 2008 and the few that want to sell cows have a sellers market going on.

Time for Economics 101------- Supply/Demand curve---- Nothing beats a college education matched with good ole cattle know- how

does it?

So you have a college education? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sellers market my A@#. Cows are way off in this neck of the woods. Online degrees ain't worth much in the real world.

TexasBred":3bn7x7d5 said:
Sellers market my A@#. Cows are way off in this neck of the woods. Online degrees ain't worth much in the real world.

:tiphat: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:

I am not seeing inflated prices on bred cows in the south. In fact, it wouldn't be that hard to find some for under $1000. Avg price is about $1200.

They're pretty cheap here right now. I saw sixty pairs (black) in the paper for $975-1100/pair. You never know what they look like, but that still sounds cheap to me.

I dont know anyone that is selling bred cows for $1100 unless they are junk. !500 is rock bottom here

VanC":258hembo said:
Angus/Brangus":258hembo said:
simangus23":258hembo said:
I dont know anyone that is selling bred cows for $1100 unless they are junk. !500 is rock bottom here

Where's "here"?

Tennessee

In Tennessee, run-of-the mill bred cows selling for $1500 and all the good hay you want for 15$ per 5x6 roll. Life is good! ;-)

simangus23":3l41ozi2 said:

'07 was just about as wet as it gets. Too wet. '05 cactus died. '06 was bad too. Everyone sold out. Now we have surplus hay and no cows. Bigbull is on the money. Now if you won't cows that aren't suited for this climate, there are some of those out there.

BRG":14e0ro1r said:
I don't think they are all that high, at least around here. I was always told at least 2 steer calves for one bred cow. Steers have sold from $600 to $800 - so that should make $1200 to $1600 cows. I have seen alot of $1200 but $1400 is ussually the top.
My calves are off 30-50 a hundred as compared to pre Sep 15 07...cows are still same price range...

Latest posts