Corriente Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Wolf Tooth Ranch

Reaction score
How well can corrientes survive Northern Minnesota winters. I have heard they don't do well up here. I would like to raise a few calves for roping. Also can I turn the corriente cows out with my other cattle. (Angus and Simmental) Is there any other special care they need. Thanks!

Typically no they don't do well. However I managed 25 pairs one summer that some originated from Canada. They eat plants that regular beef cattle won't eat.

As far as wintering Corri's with beef cattle the horns play a major advantage to the Corri's. Feeding together can be a pain. the Corri's can hog the hay easy. When in the coral working their horns jab the non big horned ones.

Do a search of longhorn and Corri breeders in MN, ND, MT and Canada and see who's got websites and prehaps write them.

Thanks Cattle Gal, I didn't plan on feeding them in the winter together anyway. It sounds like they would need more then a wind break in the cold months though. I will keep trying to find some northern breeders. Thanks again for the input.

One roper told me that the corriente would eat as much as regular cattle. I find that hard to believe. Maybe if you were running them hard but I can't believe they need as much pasture and hay as your Herfords, Angus, Simmentals etc.

Wolf Tooth Ranch":2woa2ii1 said:
One roper told me that the corriente would eat as much as regular cattle. I find that hard to believe. Maybe if you were running them hard but I can't believe they need as much pasture and hay as your Herfords, Angus, Simmentals etc.

There's probably more difference between the Hereford/Angus and the Simmental than there is between the Corriente and H/A. There was a study done some years back that showed that you could run 100 Herfs on the same pasture you could run 70 Sims.

Latest posts