Correctly asking to rent

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I am needing more pasture land in my area. The problem is I know most of the other farmers in my neighborhood and I dont want to try and rent property out from under them as I wouldnt want them to try to rent mine out from under me. Any suggestions on the proper way to go about finding additional property?

denoginnizer":327oix8p said:
I am needing more pasture land in my area. The problem is I know most of the other farmers in my neighborhood and I dont want to try and rent property out from under them as I wouldnt want them to try to rent mine out from under me. Any suggestions on the proper way to go about finding additional property?

Ad in the paper?

Last time I ran an add in the paper they got my telephone number mixed up with a guy who was selling a double wide for 7500.00. My phone rang off the hook :idea: Maybe I am in the wrong business.

Fill up your gas tank and start driving every back road looking for land that has not been used. Note the location and then go to the county assessors and look up the owners information. Renting unused land you wont be competing with others.
Dave

Ask some of the other guys if they know of any land that is for rent in the area. Someone might know of some that they didn't need. Also talk to the real estate people in the area. That is how I got one on the places we lease.

I placed an ad on the local Swap and Shop on the internet wanting to rent or lease some pasture land and a lady called me with 80 acres of pasture land. Got it free for two years for mending the fences and having it bush hogged once per year. We'll negotiate on price after the two years is up. It's great pasture-has been limed and fertilized, was good hay land but she wound up not being able to get anyone to cut the hay anymore.

Kind of same deal for us. Guy just bought the land and it was under ag exemption, he had to have cattle on it in 30 days or he would have to pay 5 yrs back taxes. It only 27 acres but it's free, and a good place to raise heifers.

Latest posts