Corral and alley pics!

Help Support CattleToday:

jrn28

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a few pics of my corral set up, I really enjoy seeing everyone else's . It still isn't 100% done but it works great as it is.I borrowed a few ideas from this site, I mostly copied Caustics pen.
This is a pic of the front entrance thru the shed.

In the shed I made a gate to go to the corral.

The side entrance.

The sweep, this is my favorite part it took a lot of welding rods!

I use the small gate and the push gate as a medina chute. I usually put them in facing towards me.

The alley

I have a few gates in the front of the alley a stop and cutting gate, woulda put up more pics it's just I thought maybe I put up to many pics. All my gates have grease fittings and slide latches, I tried spring loaded slam latches and didn't like em.

Looks good. I don't know if anybody has experienced this but I'm thinking of smoothing mine out at the end near the head gate to eliminate the possibility of getting a foot hung up in the bars or the bull panel.

Jrn,

I'm green with envy.
Very very nice and you should be proud.

I once designed a similar setup but when I priced it out I just couldn't justify the expense and expect to get any return on the investment.
So I am still using a few wooden posts, 11 portable coral panels and a free 1960s head gate.

Did you do the construction yourself or sub it out?
JC

Thanks for the compliments.
JC, my father and I built the whole thing except the shed. Eventually I plan to extend the shed to cover most of the corral. I priced some heavy duty panels and there was no way I could justify that expense. Around here drill stem isn't too expensive, this tubing was very clean and had little to no magnetism. The whole thing was about $1600, the expensive part was the utility panels. My father is a machinist and custom made all my hinges.

Greybeard, the push gate is 2" square an 1/8" thick, it was the heaviest door in my set up. The small gates inside the alley are 1 3/4" and 14 gauge. Yep no head gate, I have been looking for a squeeze chute just haven't found a used priefert in my price range.

Kingfisher":15zt8ka6 said:
Looks good. I don't know if anybody has experienced this but I'm thinking of smoothing mine out at the end near the head gate to eliminate the possibility of getting a foot hung up in the bars or the bull panel.
I don't have wire panels in any pressure areas for that reason. For a small herd of quiet cattle it's likely never going to be a problem.

jrn28":boeey9mh said:
Greybeard, the push gate is 2" square an 1/8" thick, it was the heaviest door in my set up. The small gates inside the alley are 1 3/4" and 14 gauge. Yep no head gate, I have been looking for a squeeze chute just haven't found a used priefert in my price range.
Ought to be heavy enough.
I don't have a squeeze either, just a priefert head gate fixtured on to the end of my chute. I run some pipes or 4xs behind the cows when they come in to keep them from backing up.
Not a perfect setup for sure, but it's worked ok so far, but I know someday I'm gonna see it wrecked.
(I took a 2nd look at the curved part of your sweep--man that's not just a lot of welding rods--lots and lots of saddles cut in the pipe too--I don't envy you while you were doing all of it, but you did a good job!!!)

Thanks GB, I'm a glutton for punishment and a perfectionist. It took about 4hours on a hundred degree day to finish that, plus the heat from the welder and torch. The cuts were fairly easy pops made a jig that bolts on to make a perfect saddle. Though far from perfect I'm very pleased and proud at the work my father and I did. That little escape gate is also curved.

Yeh that was my observation, you have put a lot of work into it, the curve of the sweep and all that notching of the pipe to get it all right, well done.
Ken

Thank you for sharing your photos, I've been planning to build a sweep and was contemplating how to best approach the curve. I really like your series of small angles, great idea.

Latest posts