cornstalk hay

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
will i need to feed hay with corn stalk roles or can i just feed the corn stalks with protien tubs.

I know a guy that just feed stalks but if it was where I could I would still give them some hay

yes if you can feed some hay along with the cornstalk hay id do that.1 winter when we rain out of hay.we fed wheat an rice strraw hay.but hay it was cheap.

Cornstalk round bales are equivalent to lower quality grass hay. I think you'll need to add energy as well as the protein.

We fed some in the drought. We would alternate the hay and cornstalk. The cows wasted a lot of the cornstalk hay. To be expected. We did have a protein lick for them.

Chris H":12dqzp16 said:
Cornstalk round bales are equivalent to lower quality grass hay. I think you'll need to add energy as well as the protein.
what will i need to feed for energy if i do feed corn stalkks.

trin":3gjfes8f said:
Chris H":3gjfes8f said:

Check your tubs, some of them might provide the extra calories/energy along with protein. Tubs are convenient, but expensive from what we've seen.
We are also going to be feeding baled stalks. We'll supplement with 6 lbs of pelleted corn gluten feed and 4 lbs of whole cottonseed, at a cost of .65/day for the supplement. Let me know if you project the tubs to cost less.

Chris H":qg5w2sa6 said:
trin":qg5w2sa6 said:
Chris H":qg5w2sa6 said:

Check your tubs, some of them might provide the extra calories/energy along with protein. Tubs are convenient, but expensive from what we've seen.
We are also going to be feeding baled stalks. We'll supplement with 6 lbs of pelleted corn gluten feed and 4 lbs of whole cottonseed, at a cost of .65/day for the supplement. Let me know if you project the tubs to cost less.
what would this feed ration be if i mixed by the thousand. and u feed your cows 6lbs each a day if i read that right

Latest posts