Corn Stalks

Help Support CattleToday:

6M Ranch

Reaction score
Due to the price of hay around here, I'm thinking about trying baled corn stalks, with a liquid supplement. Probably use Mix 30. Anyone have any experience with this combination?

Nope...

Corn Stalks are essentially roughage with some nutrients. A good mineral program and supplement with some good hay should work. Hint: I wouldn't pay much for corn stalks--probably 1/3 to 1/2 what good hay is selling for...JMO

6M Ranch":dcxevjjm said:
Due to the price of hay around here, I'm thinking about trying baled corn stalks, with a liquid supplement. Probably use Mix 30. Anyone have any experience with this combination?
Don't know about the Mix 30 liquid. But people that I know that graze stalks end up giving a protein supplement of some sort, usually soybeans because much cheaper than the tubs or pre-made protein supplements. Then as stalks disappear they use some corn for energy or silage if you can get it. They always have free choice mineral also.

I'm running my cow's on stalks right now. They also have hay stubble to eat. They kind of balance each other out until they eat the hay down or it get's covered with snow. My only suggestion would be to try use a protien source with some urea in it. The urea will stimulate the bugs in the cows belly. Making that corn stalks more digestable. Trust me it helps. Soybeans work great also. I use protein tubs-saves me time and labor plus the cows can't load up on them.

One way, and it works, turn the corn stalk bale on end. Take a five gallon bucket of the liquid sup. and pour it on the bale. Let it soak in and then turn the bale back over. The cows will eat the bale better.

Latest posts