corn silage

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
For those that have fed corn silage before, how much can or should i push to cow calf pairs that were brought home and their only hay is free choice CRP? Figure roughly 45 lbs per pair per day?

mncowboy":2qjlvncs said:
For those that have fed corn silage before, how much can or should i push to cow calf pairs that were brought home and their only hay is free choice CRP? Figure roughly 45 lbs per pair per day?

Figure you silage is somewhere around 35% dry matter so you can determine how much of the hay you are actually replacing with the silage.

Standard advise is to ease them into it, and not give them more than 50% silage by DM weight.
Free choice means a lot of intake variation... and you will have to test all your feeds to really know how much energy from silage they need.

We ran into a dry spell this fall and I supplemented my cow/calf pairs with silage. I figured they probably averaged 50 lbs per pair/day. They gobbled it up and woulda ate more, but they seemed satisfied and it kept them milking for the calves. We since got a bunch of rain and the pastures greened up, so they went back on grass til I wean them next week, then probly put the calves back on silage. I had to buy my silage, so I had to manage cost as well. They did well on it though, just start em gradually.

Latest posts