corn prices

Help Support CattleToday:

iowafarmer":lme3qnum said:
Corn is going to go up. Iowa had a really bad year for corn production due to too mcuh rain so a lot of nitrogen leached away. Southeast Iowa had to replant corn 3 times this spring and then couldn't get back in to spray or side dress nitrogen. Iv'e heard they are getting 140 bushels all the way down to 40 bushel yields when they should be pushing 200+, Central Iowa is in the mid 100 bushel range and should be higher also. The only parts of Iowa that have the bushels are the western part of iowa and the norhteast. When Iowa has a bad year for corn production, prices are going to go up.
Probably so but the big picture of total bushels, bushels per acre and carryover or lack of carryover is what's driving things now. That and the ever present speculators. During harvest down here farmers were paid from $3.60 to $4.10 bushel depending on quality and market. Course our corn production isn't a drop in the bucket compared to the real producing states.

It may seem like a no-brainer that corn is going to go up but I wouldn't be surprised if it just floats around this $4.50-$5 range. I keep hearing how bad the crop is this year but I've talked to some guys that say this is the best crop they've ever had. I believe there is more corn out there than they are letting on. As was said this market is riding on mostly speculation right now. Chances are it will go up some but I don't believe it is going to be as much as most seem to think it will.

I don't think corn is going to hit 7 dollars anytime soon but I think we will see it hit 5.50 and hold there. There was a lot of carryover from last year however due to conditions last year the crop was lacking in quality. Just my opinion though. No telling what it will do at this point.

iowafarmer":3lb7ykxl said:
I don't think corn is going to hit 7 dollars anytime soon but I think we will see it hit 5.50 and hold there. There was a lot of carryover from last year however due to conditions last year the crop was lacking in quality. Just my opinion though. No telling what it will do at this point.
December contracts right now are trading at $5.64, up $.185 this morning.

One thing about high corn prices. It hurts the competetion (pork and chicken) more than it does beef. You just can't run a chicken out on grass longer to put on more weight before finishing them like you can a steer.

Dave":17bhy01y said:
One thing about high corn prices. It hurts the competetion (pork and chicken) more than it does beef. You just can't run a chicken out on grass longer to put on more weight before finishing them like you can a steer.
But chickens finish out so much faster.

TexasBred":nzwfd9tt said:
iowafarmer":nzwfd9tt said:

On the board yea it is up there. However they aren't paying that yet at the coop's to the farmers. That's what I was refering to with 5.50 course it is going to fluctuate some so it could hit 6 bucks but it has aways to go for current price. Corn was down 9 cents today. July was getting close to 6 bucks though, but I just don't see it doing 7. I could be wrong though.

TexasBred":nzwfd9tt said:
Dave":nzwfd9tt said:

Poultry can also be fed soybean meal. Poultry are the leading consumer of soybean meal at 44% in the U.S. Swine are at 24% and beef at 13 %. So high corn prices will affect cattle more than poultry and swine.

iowafarmer":3uup7bv3 said:
TexasBred":3uup7bv3 said:
iowafarmer":3uup7bv3 said:

On the board yea it is up there. However they aren't paying that yet at the coop's to the farmers. That's what I was refering to with 5.50 course it is going to fluctuate some so it could hit 6 bucks but it has aways to go for current price. Corn was down 9 cents today. July was getting close to 6 bucks though, but I just don't see it doing 7. I could be wrong though.

TexasBred":3uup7bv3 said:
Dave":3uup7bv3 said:

Poultry can also be fed soybean meal. Poultry are the leading consumer of soybean meal at 44% in the U.S. Swine are at 24% and beef at 13 %. So high corn prices will affect cattle more than poultry and swine.
True on the price of corn. Cash market was sstill around $.55 under the board Poultry feed contains more soybean meal because it is typically higher protein ration. .....but the total ration still needs corn...lots of it..on any given day there are probably hundreds of millions of chickens and turkeys on feed.

Latest posts